Wabash Valley —
Mitch Stetter was not without a job in baseball for very long, signing a minor league contract in a return to the Milwaukee Brewers organization according to his Twitter feed @mitchstetter on Friday.
Stetter, a former Indiana State pitcher, was released by Milwaukee after last season, a season plagued by a hip injury. The lefty reliever signed a minor league deal with Texas in the offseason, then was released during spring training.
According to his Twitter feed, Stetter is currently in extended spring training and expects to be assigned to the Double-A level.
Jason Van Skike, also a former ISU pitcher, reports on his Twitter feed that he is in extended spring training to begin his second season in the Chicago White Sox organization.
Van Skike said on @JasonVanSkike “I'm in extended for now, I'll break with the rookie ball teams pending a call up”
Clint Barmes, a former ISU infielder, got off to a slow start this season after signing a $10.5M two-year contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Barmes started the season 0-for-12, without a hit or walk, before hitting a solo home run on Wednesday.
Updates on other former Indiana State, Rose-Hulman or Wabash Valley-connected players this week.
• Clint Barmes — Barmes was 2 for 19 with a home run and RBI in six games with Pittsburgh.
• Nevin Ashley — Ashley was 5 for 18, all singles, with one stolen base and no RBI in six games for Durham.
• Josh Phegley — Phegley was 7 for 23 with three runs scored, three doubles and one RBI in six games for Charlotte. He was 6 for 11 in his first three games, then was 1 for 12 in his next three games.
• Ryan Strausborger — Strausborger was 7 for 17 with three stolen bases and a triple in five games for Frisco. He has hit safely in four of his five games.
• Nick Ciolli — Ciolli was 4 for 24 wth five runs scored, one double and four RBI in six games for Winston-Salem. He struck out seven times.
• Brady Shoemaker — Shoemaker was 10 for 25 with eight runs scored, two doubles, one home run and four RBI in six games for Winston-Salem. He has hit safely in all six games.
• Kyle Lafrenz — Lafrenz was 3 for 10 with two RBI and five strike outs in two games for Clearwater.
• Jake Eigsti — Eigsti’s season with Camden begins on Thursday.
• Joe Thatcher— Thatcher made three relief appearances for San Diego. In a combined 1 2/3 innings, he allowed no runs, one hit, with no walks and two strikeouts.
• Matt Zaleski — Zaleski is beginning the season with Charlotte on the seven-day disabled list.
• Brian Omogrosso — Omogrosso made two relief appearances for Charlotte. In a combined four innings, he allowed three runs, five hits, with one walk and four strikeouts.
• Derek Eitel — Eitel has made two starts for Mobile. He threw four shutout innings in his first start last Saturday, then allowed three runs in five innings vs. Pensacola on Thursday. He had a no decision in both outings.
• Jake Petricka — Petricka has made two starts with Winston-Salem. In a combined 9 1/3 innings, he has allowed seven runs, 11 hits, with five walks and 10 strikeouts. He has a 1-1 record with a 6.75 earned run average.
• Colin Rea — Rea has made three relief appearances with Fort Wayne. In a combined 4 1/3 innings, he has allowed one run, four hits, with no walks, nine strikeouts. He’s 0-1 with a 2.08 ERA.
• Jason Van Skike — Van Skike is in extended spring training.
• Blake Drake, Brett Merkley and Ryan Tatusko — All three have not been assigned to teams as of yet this season.
Through games of Thursday
Player (Team; Class/Parent club) AB R H HR RBI Avg.
Clint Barmes (Pittsburgh) 19 1 2 1 1 .105
Nevin Ashley (Durham; AAA/Tampa Bay) 18 3 5 0 0 .278
Josh Phegley (Charlotte; AAA/CWS) 23 3 7 0 1 .304
Ryan Strausborger (Frisco; AA/Texas) 17 2 7 0 0 .412
Nick Ciolli (Winston-Salem; A-Adv./CWS) 24 5 4 0 4 .167
Brady Shoemaker (Wnstn-Slem; A-Adv./CWS) 25 8 10 1 4 .400
Kyle Lafrenz (Clearwater; A-Adv./Phil.) 10 1 3 0 2 .200
Jake Eigsti (Camden; Ind.) 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Pitcher (Team; Class-Parent club) IP H BB SO W-L Sv ERA
Joe Thatcher (San Diego) 1.2 1 0 2 0-0 0 0.00
Matt Zaleski (Charlotte; AAA/CWS) on 7-day disabled list
Brian Omogrosso (Charlotte; AAA/CWS) 4.0 5 1 4 0-0 0 6.75
Derek Eitel (Mobile; AA/Arizona) 9.0 12 4 7 0-0 0 3.00
Jake Petricka (Winston-Salem/A-Adv./CWS) 9.1 11 5 10 1-1 0 6.75
Colin Rea (Ft. Wayne; A/San Diego) 4.1 4 0 9 0-1 0 2.08
Dennis Clark can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and followed on Twitter @tribstardennis.