Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
Hard to believe the first high school girls golf matches were played Monday in Indiana and that prep football begins in about two weeks.
Several golfers from the area competed in the Vincennes Open last week. Travis Turpen did very well.
Purdue player Adam Schenk won the event with rounds of 65 and 66 for a 131 score. The former South Knox ace completed a sweep of tournaments played in the Vincennes area: Lawrenceville Open, Knox County Open, Vincennes Open.
Turpen and Indiana University player David Mills of Evansville tied for second, one shot behind the leader at 132.
Turpen opened the tourney with 67 and had low round of 65 on Sunday in the big field. He birdied four of the first six holes in going 31-34 and had nine birdies and one bogey in the two rounds.
We hope to publish the results of other players in the tournament later in the week.
Rachel Welker was another winner in weekend golf, firing two rounds of 69 — going 31-38 both days — for a 138 score to win a stroke-play tournament that took the place of the women’s city tournament.
Lots of golf is on this week’s schedule.
The Junior Interclub is Friday at the Country Club of Terre Haute and the senior men’s championship will be played at that course Saturday and Sunday.
The Hulman Links Championship also is set for Saturday and Sunday and the Terre Haute North Invitational for girls teams — 13 of them — will be played Saturday afternoon.
In pro golf, Ernie Els missed the cut for the Canadian Open last week, five days after his thrilling victory in the British Open.
• Tom-Cattin’ It — John Hasten has retired as superintendent of the Palestine School District in Illinois.
He was the football coach at Marshall for 15 seasons.
• Former Lawrence Central coach Michael Holman is the new men’s and women’s track and field and cross country coach at Marian University.
• Chaz Hendrix is the new softball coach at Vincennes Lincoln. He previously taught and coached at Linton and South Knox.
• Koby Kraemer has had a good summer of baseball playing with the Edenten Steamers of the College Plains League. He played in the all-star game and was the leader in hitting and other categories for his team.
• Eastern Kentucky has been picked to win the Ohio Valley Conference football title in a preseason poll. Eastern Illinois is tabbed eighth.
Belmont recently became a member of the conference.
• Ball State is picked fourth in the Mid-American Conference West in football. Ohio is the overall favorite in the league.
• Tickets for the Big Ten football championship game to be played Dec. 1 in Indy are on sale.
• Terre Haute North recently nipped Mattoon, Ill., 28-27 in the championship game of the Mattoon 7-on-7 tournament in football.
Tom Reck may be contacted by telephone at (812) 232-3231, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at 4284 South 5th Street, Apt. 3, Terre Haute, IN 47802.