Clark County, Ill.
• Parke County Covered Bridge festival activities, including communitywide yard sale, antique tractor and engine show, parade, canal tours and cornbread and bean dinner, Montezuma.
• Hay Ride & Haunted Woods presented by Phoenix Theatre and Westfield Improvement League, includes weiner roast and refreshments, adults, $5, ages 12 and under, $4, 6 to 9 p.m., Mill Creek Park, Marshall, Ill.; www.clarkcountyparkdistrict.com or 217-889-3601.
• Flea and Farmers Markets, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., 115 W. National Ave., Brazil, 812-240-3572.
• Downtown Farmers Market, fresh fruits and vegetables, organic meats and eggs, live plants and herbs, alpaca fleece, 8 a.m. to noon, Clabber Girl parking lot, Ninth and Cherry streets; interested participants call 812-299-5404.
• Terre Haute Children’s Museum, will partner with ISU Center for Mathematics Education to kick off “Go Figure” program, 1 to 2:30 p.m., 727 Wabash Ave. 812-235-5548.
• Free computer lab for job search purposes, daily, also access to phone for local calls; resumé building software and self-taught tutorials, 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., Wabash Valley Goodwill Industries, 600 S. Third St., 812-235-1827, ext. 236.
• Pets Alive Spay/Neuter League, registration for low cost spay/neuter of dogs and cats, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Pet Food Center, 175 W. Honeycreek Parkway. For more information call 812-235-6465.
• Strike Out the Burn bowling tournament presented by the Terre Haute Firefighters Bowling Association, $25 per person or $125 per teams of five, 1 p.m., Vigo Bowl, 812-208-3350.
• Vigo County Green Party meets, 2 p.m., Coffee Grounds, 423 Wabash Ave., 812-239-2760.
• Memorial and benefit auction to help the family of Terre Haute resident Gregory Lewis Sanders Sr. with his funeral and burial expenses, 3:30 to 6 p.m., TK’s Sports Grille, 724 N. Fruitridge Ave.; donations also may be made online at donations.hismessageforyou.com or by contacting Megan Sanders at 812-391-5317 to donate via a bank account provided by JP Morgan Chase; or by mail to JP Morgan Chase, in care of His Message for You Ministry, #424383755, 550 K Street, Los Banos, CA 93635; all donations received by His Message for You Ministry through Oct. 31 will benefit the Sanders family donation drive.
• Unhaunted Halloween Happenings, featuring train and hay rides, $2 each, Halloween story in Fort Harrison room, movie, and pumpkin contest, 6 to 9 p.m., Deming Park, 812-232-0147.
• Shadow Asylum haunted house event to benefit United Cerebral Palsy of the Wabash Valley, $10 admission, 7 p.m. to midnight, 949 N. 10th St., for more information visit www.shadowasylum.net or call 812-234-5620.
Clark County, Ill.
Fathers take time out to spend quality time with children, grandchildren
A big, circular white cloud rose up through the tall atrium as Mike Woods held his 4-year son, Nathan, Sunday at the Terre Haute Children’s Museum.
On Friday, hit the park and raise funds for skateboarders
The On-board United Initiative — O.U.I. for short — has scheduled an all-ages fundraising event Friday in honor of national Go Skateboarding Day.
STATE OF THE STATEHOUSE: Sentencing law could benefit juveniles
Monica Foster is a longtime public defender who’s been pushing uphill in the legal system for a long time. So, when she says the General Assembly is making progress protecting the rights of the disenfranchised, it’s worth stopping to listen to her.
Mastering the art of Gardening
The Wabash Valley Master Gardeners group gathered over the weekend to marvel at each other’s gardens on its annual garden tour. The event was a chance for master gardeners to showcase their labor of love, meanwhile sharing stories about their plants.
RESTAURANT INSPECTIONS: June 17, 2013
The Vigo County Health Department inspected the following food establishments May 28-31:
Lawn mower fire destroys barn
A lawn mower that caught fire was cited as the cause of a fire that destroyed a single story barn Sunday in the 2000 block of North Chamberlain Street, said Harold Osborn, assistant fire chief of the Lost Creek Township Fire Department.
Wabash Valley residents vie for spot on Wheel of Fortune
Ellen Fujawa of Zionsville wants to be on the popular syndicated Wheel of Fortune game show.
No ID yet on body found in Rosedale home
Sheriff Mike Eslinger said his department is waiting to obtain an immediate family’s confirmation of a woman found dead in a home in the 2900 block of West Rosehill Lane.
Vigo School Corp. eliminating bus transportation for middle school sports teams
The Vigo County School Corp. will no longer provide school bus transportation for middle school athletic events, starting with the 2013-14 school year.
B.J. RILEY: Fathers are an inspiring figure
Ever since I can remember, I wanted to be a salesman. In grade school, I was so excited about selling candy bars or candles or whatever the chosen product.
‘24/7 Dad’ program focuses on key fathering characteristics
Terre Haute resident Aaron Poarch grew up without a father. His stepfather died when he was a teenager and just quite recently met his biological father.
Blues mosaic fundraiser to benefit Boys & Girls Club
A photographic mosaic, featuring images of the Blues at the Crossroads Festival from 2004 to 2012, was unveiled Saturday as part of a fundraiser to benefit the Terre Haute Boys and Girls Club.
Meeting June 18 to discuss cleanup of former Coke, Carbon site
The public can learn more about plans to clean up the former Terre Haute Coke and Carbon brownfield site Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. at the Booker T. Washington Community Center
South Vigo Jets teams raising money for trip
The Terre Haute South Vigo Jets Varsity A and Junior Varsity B teams have qualified for national competition and are working to raise funds to help cover expenses.
United in Service: 300 volunteers take part in United Way’s Day of Action
As a graphic designer for Clabber Girl, Denise Turner usually sits in front of the computer most of the week. But as a volunteer on Friday’s Day of Action, she was outdoors spreading mulch at a community garden.
Police investigating Rosedale homicide
Parke County authorities are investigating a homicide at Rosedale.
Sheriff Mike Eslinger confirmed Friday afternoon that police had been called to a home in the 2900 block of West Rosehill Lane on a report of a dead person.
Homicide suspect’s father: ‘I am so sorry’
The father of a Jasonville man charged with murder broke down in tears following his son’s appearance in Greene Superior Court on Friday morning.
African Methodist Episcopal Church reaches out to youth through Sunday School
How to make church relevant for today’s young people is a challenge that some dedicated pastors and youth ministers are willingly taking on this weekend in Terre Haute.
National Road interpretive panel to be dedicated Monday
Vigo County’s first National Road interpretive panel will be dedicated Monday at a restored historic gasoline station cottage near Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology’s Art Nehf Baseball Stadium.
Vigo County YMCA celebrates its one-year anniversary
The Vigo County YMCA is celebrating its one-year anniversary today offering the public free use of the facility and classes.
ISU trustees focusing on retention, grad rates
Improved student retention and graduation rates are a university-wide responsibility, Indiana State University trustees emphasized during Friday’s meeting.
TH Children’s Museum offers Father’s Day special
The Terre Haute Children’s Museum is celebrating dads by giving them free admission to the museum on Father’s Day, which is Sunday.
Homeowner interrupts intended burglary, police say
A homeowner likely interrupted an intended burglary early Friday, but in the process, the homeowner was attacked and injured by the suspect.
Linton man in stable condition after stabbing
A Linton man is recovering from a stab wound received in an altercation late Wednesday.
Failure to yield led to crash
Police say failure to yield by a teen driver contributed to a Wednesday afternoon crash that toppled an SUV carrying children.
Terre Haute man in custody after standoff
A Terre Haute man arrested following a standoff on Maple Avenue with police Wednesday night faces a charge of criminal recklessness, a class-C felony.
Katelyn Wolfe homicide: Affidavit alleges men’s scheme
Two friends from childhood allegedly had devised a plan over the course of about a week to rape and kill someone — without having a particular target — before causing Linton teenager Katelyn Wolfe’s death last week, according to court documents released Thursday.
Strawberry Fest, now in its 25th year, provides cool refreshment even for those who lived in Alaska
Kelsey Witte and Ashleigh Adams have a lot in common: their husbands work together, both have two kids, both lived in Alaska and both enjoyed a healthy serving of “The Works” at Thursday’s Strawberry Fest in the First Congregational Church’s parking lot along Ohio Street.
ISU seeks to relocate track
Indiana State University wants to move forward with plans to relocate its track and field facility to North First Street, adjacent to the Wabash River.
Attorney General files against Hoosier Prescription Shop
Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller’s office recently filed licensing complaints against the Terre Haute-based Hoosier Prescription Shop, and its owner and pharmacist, Ashok A. Patel.
- More News Headlines
- Fathers take time out to spend quality time with children, grandchildren