- SLIDESHOW: Hurricane Sandy brings wind, water Damaging winds and storm surges from Hurricane Sandy began affecting Massachusetts on Monday.
VIDEO: Shakin’ Things Up
Trucks rumbling through the city streets have university officials hoping for good vibrations this weekend.
VIDEO: Famous Hoosier horror legend to appear at Linton haunted house
Sammy Terry, the spooktacular entertainer who captivated Hoosier television viewers every weekend in the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s, is ready for some new “frightmares” — and his search is returning him to Linton.
- SLIDESHOW: This year's 15 hottest toys Is it too early to start your holiday shopping? Not according to Toys R Us, which just released its "Hot Toy List" for 2012. Check out the top 15 toys that made the list. Find all 50 at toysrus.com/hottoys.
VIDEO: Mark Bennett: Terre Haute featured in ‘strange, offbeat, evocative, wonderful movie’
Some people hold a fond memory of Terre Haute. Some even dream of escaping to Terre Haute to start a new life.
VIDEO: 9/11 vigil, candlelight procession at ISU
Indiana State University marked the 11th anniversary of 9/11 with a vigil at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 11, at Dede Plaza.The ceremony and silent candlelight procession were coordinated by the Order of Omega academic honorary for fraternities and sororities.
VIDEO: 4th annual Nature Days at Clay County Fairgrounds draws a crowd
Cars lined the Clay County Fairgrounds parking lot Saturday morning as families gathered for the 4th Annual Nature Day — an eclectic mix of activities hosted on the property.
VIDEO: Mark Bennett: Hoosier trio dodges ditches on way to Terre Haute Blues Fest
Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band has a critically acclaimed new album and video, and will perform Saturday, Sept. 15, at the Blues at the Crossroads Festival in downtown Terre Haute.
VIDEO: Outdoor Indiana magazine features Shades State Park, namesake of Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band
Outdoor Indiana magazine’s September-October issue features Shades State Park, located near Waveland in Parke, Montgomery and Fountain counties. Once known as The Shades of Death before it became a state park, it’s the most primitive state park in Indiana.
VIDEO: Healthier, more nutritious foods in school cafeteria lunch lines
Agriculture Under Secretary for Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services Kevin Concannon on Aug. 29 announced that America’s students will see healthier and more nutritious foods in school cafeteria lunch lines this year.
- SLIDESHOW: Heated hearing for suspect in shooting death A fight broke out Tuesday afternoon in Vigo Superior Court 6 after an exchange of words between people attending the initial hearing of an Indianapolis man accused of murder in the Friday death of a Terre Haute man.
VIDEO: Thousands jam downtown for the annual Block Party
Easy footsteps shuffled about downtown to swirling music, as thousands rocked around the block
VIDEO: Schools dancin’ with new year excitement
Donning a white suit with black shirt and tie, Vigo County Schools Superintendent Dan Tanoos lined danced on the gymnasium floor Monday at Terre Haute South Vigo High School to help energize teachers during a back to school rally.
- SLIDESHOW: First Friday home tour showcases big style in small spaces Four stylish homes that demonstrate creative ways to make the best use of small spaces in a tight economy will be featured during the First Friday Small Spaces/Big Ideas home tour scheduled 4 to 8 p.m. Sept. 7. The tour includes the homes of Kris and Gretchen Kraut at 2229 College St., Brent and Yvette Morgan at 1813 Pin Oak Court, Bill and Peggy Hanna at 2707 Oak St., and Bob and Teresa Moore at 3803 Linden St.; as well as the Dan Carr Signature Interiors Showroom at 501 W. Honey Creek Drive. Tickets are $5 for adults; kids 12 and under are free. Tickets and a map can be purchased in advance at Java Haute or at any of the homes during tour hours. All proceeds benefit The Life Center of Terre Haute at 3000 College Ave. For more information visit thefirstfridayhometour.com or call (812) 234-5233.
Video: Get up close to vintage airplanes
Vintage World War II airplanes will touch down at Terre Haute’s airport for three days in early August and will be on display and open for passengers who want to pay the freight.
Video: Monument City below Salamonie Lake now visible
Monument City, a former town at Salamonie Lake that is visible this summer due to drought conditions affecting water levels in the reservoir, has been temporarily closed to all public access.
The site drew attention over the weekend with statewide media reports that it is now visible after being submerged for decades.
Video: NCAA announces penalties against Penn State
The NCAA slammed Penn State Monday with an unprecedented series of penalties, including a $60 million fine and the loss of all coach Joe Paterno's victories from 1998-2011, in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.
RAW VIDEO: First look at Colorado shooting suspect
Colorado movie theater shooting suspect James Holmes, 24, makes his first court appearance with reddish-orange hair and a dazed expression.
VIDEO: Annual Blueberry Fest supports Terre Foods
Vanilla ice cream covered in blueberries put smiles on the faces of the Oberste-Vorth family on Thursday during the Terre Foods Blueberry Fest at Central Presbyterian Church.
- SLIDESHOW: Vigo County 4-H Fair kicks off week-long run TERRE HAUTE — Kiddie tractor pulls mixed with carnival rides and games, the 4-H Horse and Pony Show, exhibits and, of course, fair food as the 2012 Vigo County Fair began Sunday, July 8. The fair runs through Saturday, July 14, at the Wabash Valley Fairgrounds. Today’s events include 4-H judging in rabbit, poultry, swine and dog obedience and agility, with tonight’s featured activity being the demolition derby starting at 7. (Photos by Tribune-Star photographer Bob Poynter)
VIDEO: Cutlery never sounded so good, or got so many laughs
Even the librarian got a little noisy as a musical spoon player served up heaping helpings of laughter.
Viral Video: Farm parody of ‘Sexy and I Know It’
Kansas State University student Greg Peterson and some friends were unwinding at a drive-in restaurant when LMFAO’s song “Sexy and I Know It” came on the radio. He groaned. But as the chorus droned on, the 21-year-old found inspiration. He switched “sexy” to “farming” as he began rapping. Then he started coming up with lyrics.
VIDEO: Montezuma Independence Day Parade
This Parke County town celebrated the Fourth of July June 30. festivities included a parade, the Little Miss Firecracker pageant and a fish fry.
See video at right.
VIDEO: Operation Catapult
Staff photographer Jim Avelis narrates one of many Operation Catapult demonstrations presented Thursday, June 28, at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.
VIDEO: ‘A firestorm of epic proportions’
Lorna Taken Gutierrez and her family live in a home with “an amazing mountain view” in Colorado Springs.
But on Tuesday, the view from her home turned Armageddon-like as she saw a wildfire racing down a bluff and taking everything — including beautiful homes — in its path.
Charts: Growth of sports participation by women, girls
These graphics illustrate how girls' participation in sports has grown at the high school and college level since the passage of Title IX in 1972.
VIDEO: Summer isn’t fun when you’re hungry
Thousands of children in Wabash Valley communities are on summer vacation. While this brings to mind days of fun and freedom for many school children, for the millions across our country facing hunger it means losing the one place they can count on for a meal. It is currently estimated that more than 16 million children are at risk of hunger throughout America.
VIDEO: 'Ring of fire' solar eclipse
The solar eclipse that took place Sunday evening was an annular eclipse, one in which the moon blocks almost all of the sun. Some of the best viewing was in Asia, as with this video filmed in Japan.
VIDEO: Suspected TB case at Woodrow Wilson
A suspected case of tuberculosis at Woodrow Wilson Middle School has prompted free testing next week for students and staff at the east side Terre Haute school. Testing is not mandatory and parental permission is required for students.
AUDIO: Sidewalk Prophets singer discusses Terre Haute boyhood, and Saturday's concert
Terre Haute native Dave Frey leads his Dove Award-winning band, Sidewalk Prophets, into a 7 p.m. Saturday concert at his hometown church, Maryland Community Church, joining opening performers Justin Hoeppner and Josh Wilson.
- More Multimedia Headlines