VIDEOS: Sycamores have work cut out for them at Diamond Head Classic
All you have to do is take one look at Indiana State’s team hotel to realize ISU’s participation in the Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic is a tad different from your average road trip.
VIDEO: So far, so good for Sycamores
Perhaps the most important conversation new Indiana State football coach Mike Sanford had on Monday wasn’t with the administration, the alumni and the assembled media at his introductory press conference, but a talk that came after it.
- SLIDESHOW: Flash Back: 2012 in Pictures Tribune-Star photographers Joseph C. Garza, Jim Avelis and Bob Poynter showcase their favorite work of 2012.
VIDEO: ISU women add athleticism, experience with 2013 recruiting class
As a team stocked full of underclassmen continues to grow and gain some NCAA Division I women’s basketball seasoning, those players will blend with four recruits who will likely be ready to make a big impact for coach Teri Moren in 2013-14.
Sullivan native Rhagen Smith, daughter of former Sycamore basketball standout Maria (Stockberger) Smith, will be the only true freshman of the four. The 6-foot-2 forward is joined by 5-1 junior-college point guard Ricquia Jones, junior-college wing Jasmine Grier and Kansas State transfer Stephanie Wittman.
VIDEO: Indiana State University police officer leads rescue of student from burning car
On a typical day, Indiana State University police officer Chris Heleine might deal with theft reports, well-being checks or property damage accidents.
But Wednesday was not a typical day.
- SLIDESHOW: Veterans Day Parade 2012 Terre Haute’s annual Veterans Day parade down Wabash Avenue on Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012, concluded with an 11:11 a.m. post-parade ceremony and 21-gun salute at the VFW Post 972 at 12th and Mulberry streets.
- SLIDESHOW: General Election 2012 Photos by Tribune-Star photographers Bob Poynter, Joe Garza and Jim Avelis. Check back for more photos.
- SLIDESHOW: Sandy delivers snow to East
VIDEO: Sandy brings more snow to Appalachian Mountains
Snow continues to fall in the Appalachian Mountains thanks to superstorm Sandy, leaving an estimated 150,000 people without power.
VIDEO: Mammoth storm Sandy plunges NYC into darkness
Much of New York was plunged into darkness Monday by a superstorm that overflowed the city's historic waterfront, flooded the financial district and subway tunnels and cut power to hundreds of thousands of people.
- SLIDESHOW: Hurricane Sandy brings wind, water Damaging winds and storm surges from Hurricane Sandy began affecting Massachusetts on Monday.
VIDEO: Shakin’ Things Up
Trucks rumbling through the city streets have university officials hoping for good vibrations this weekend.
VIDEO: Famous Hoosier horror legend to appear at Linton haunted house
Sammy Terry, the spooktacular entertainer who captivated Hoosier television viewers every weekend in the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s, is ready for some new “frightmares” — and his search is returning him to Linton.
- SLIDESHOW: This year's 15 hottest toys Is it too early to start your holiday shopping? Not according to Toys R Us, which just released its "Hot Toy List" for 2012. Check out the top 15 toys that made the list. Find all 50 at toysrus.com/hottoys.
VIDEO: Mark Bennett: Terre Haute featured in ‘strange, offbeat, evocative, wonderful movie’
Some people hold a fond memory of Terre Haute. Some even dream of escaping to Terre Haute to start a new life.
VIDEO: 9/11 vigil, candlelight procession at ISU
Indiana State University marked the 11th anniversary of 9/11 with a vigil at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 11, at Dede Plaza.The ceremony and silent candlelight procession were coordinated by the Order of Omega academic honorary for fraternities and sororities.
VIDEO: 4th annual Nature Days at Clay County Fairgrounds draws a crowd
Cars lined the Clay County Fairgrounds parking lot Saturday morning as families gathered for the 4th Annual Nature Day — an eclectic mix of activities hosted on the property.
VIDEO: Mark Bennett: Hoosier trio dodges ditches on way to Terre Haute Blues Fest
Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band has a critically acclaimed new album and video, and will perform Saturday, Sept. 15, at the Blues at the Crossroads Festival in downtown Terre Haute.
VIDEO: Outdoor Indiana magazine features Shades State Park, namesake of Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band
Outdoor Indiana magazine’s September-October issue features Shades State Park, located near Waveland in Parke, Montgomery and Fountain counties. Once known as The Shades of Death before it became a state park, it’s the most primitive state park in Indiana.
VIDEO: Healthier, more nutritious foods in school cafeteria lunch lines
Agriculture Under Secretary for Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services Kevin Concannon on Aug. 29 announced that America’s students will see healthier and more nutritious foods in school cafeteria lunch lines this year.
- SLIDESHOW: Heated hearing for suspect in shooting death A fight broke out Tuesday afternoon in Vigo Superior Court 6 after an exchange of words between people attending the initial hearing of an Indianapolis man accused of murder in the Friday death of a Terre Haute man.
VIDEO: Thousands jam downtown for the annual Block Party
Easy footsteps shuffled about downtown to swirling music, as thousands rocked around the block
VIDEO: Schools dancin’ with new year excitement
Donning a white suit with black shirt and tie, Vigo County Schools Superintendent Dan Tanoos lined danced on the gymnasium floor Monday at Terre Haute South Vigo High School to help energize teachers during a back to school rally.
- SLIDESHOW: First Friday home tour showcases big style in small spaces Four stylish homes that demonstrate creative ways to make the best use of small spaces in a tight economy will be featured during the First Friday Small Spaces/Big Ideas home tour scheduled 4 to 8 p.m. Sept. 7. The tour includes the homes of Kris and Gretchen Kraut at 2229 College St., Brent and Yvette Morgan at 1813 Pin Oak Court, Bill and Peggy Hanna at 2707 Oak St., and Bob and Teresa Moore at 3803 Linden St.; as well as the Dan Carr Signature Interiors Showroom at 501 W. Honey Creek Drive. Tickets are $5 for adults; kids 12 and under are free. Tickets and a map can be purchased in advance at Java Haute or at any of the homes during tour hours. All proceeds benefit The Life Center of Terre Haute at 3000 College Ave. For more information visit thefirstfridayhometour.com or call (812) 234-5233.
Video: Get up close to vintage airplanes
Vintage World War II airplanes will touch down at Terre Haute’s airport for three days in early August and will be on display and open for passengers who want to pay the freight.
Video: Monument City below Salamonie Lake now visible
Monument City, a former town at Salamonie Lake that is visible this summer due to drought conditions affecting water levels in the reservoir, has been temporarily closed to all public access.
The site drew attention over the weekend with statewide media reports that it is now visible after being submerged for decades.
Video: NCAA announces penalties against Penn State
The NCAA slammed Penn State Monday with an unprecedented series of penalties, including a $60 million fine and the loss of all coach Joe Paterno's victories from 1998-2011, in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.
RAW VIDEO: First look at Colorado shooting suspect
Colorado movie theater shooting suspect James Holmes, 24, makes his first court appearance with reddish-orange hair and a dazed expression.
VIDEO: Annual Blueberry Fest supports Terre Foods
Vanilla ice cream covered in blueberries put smiles on the faces of the Oberste-Vorth family on Thursday during the Terre Foods Blueberry Fest at Central Presbyterian Church.
- SLIDESHOW: Vigo County 4-H Fair kicks off week-long run TERRE HAUTE — Kiddie tractor pulls mixed with carnival rides and games, the 4-H Horse and Pony Show, exhibits and, of course, fair food as the 2012 Vigo County Fair began Sunday, July 8. The fair runs through Saturday, July 14, at the Wabash Valley Fairgrounds. Today’s events include 4-H judging in rabbit, poultry, swine and dog obedience and agility, with tonight’s featured activity being the demolition derby starting at 7. (Photos by Tribune-Star photographer Bob Poynter)
- More Multimedia Headlines
- VIDEOS: Sycamores have work cut out for them at Diamond Head Classic