True heroism: Flight 93 rewrote conclusion to plot by 9/11 terrorists (see VIDEO)
Walking in the Shadows of 9/11
Last of a three-part series
The place — chosen by fate — holds a powerful silence.
MARK BENNETT: Value of every minute deeply realized on 9/11 (related VIDEO)
This summer, the Tribune-Star’s Mark Bennett visited New York City, Washington, D.C., and Shanksville, Pa., sites where the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, are now memorialized. He observed the cityscapes and landscapes forever changed by the events of that day and talked with people he encountered there, many of whom witnessed the attacks and their aftermath from close range and had personal ties to its victims.
Indiana State offense sharp in win over Butler (related VIDEO)
After struggling to get any offensive traction in a loss at Penn State on Sept. 3, Indiana State’s offense wanted to establish some rhythm when Butler visited Memorial Stadium for ISU’s season opener.
VIDEO: Tasty samples abound at annual Altrusa Chili Cook-Off
Blues music played in the background as crowds sampled chili for charity in the Clabber Girl Festival Marketplace.
Pentagon Memorial pays tribute to 184 lives lost in 9/11 attack on Washington (related VIDEO)
Walking in the Shadows of 9/11
Second of a three-part series
The latch clicked loudly, and Lt. Col. Robert L. Ditchey pushed open a door inside Corridor 4 of the Pentagon.
He entered an area that resembles an urban alley, but with a roof.
“This is where the final pieces of the aircraft had crashed through,” explained Ditchey, Pentagon press officer for the Department of Defense.
GIGAPAN: View ongoing construction at ground zero
This high-resolution zoomable image captures the sweeping scene at ground zero allowing viewers to see up close the ongoing construction of the site heading to the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
Ten years removed, 9/11 attack on NYC remains on minds of many (see VIDEO)
Walking in the Shadows of 9/11
First of a three-part series
A decade later, images from Sept. 11, 2001, remain vivid in the minds of most Americans. Plane crashes. Collapsing skyscrapers. Staggering people covered in dust. Horror. Shock. Confusion. Fear. Heroism.
- SLIDESHOW: Super fans of the NFL Kick off the football season with the craziest NFL super fans around. Check out this slideshow of wacky costumes worn by some of the most die-hard fanatics in sports.
MARK BENNETT: Everyone has a role in this American story (see VIDEO)
We stood atop a hill in rural southwestern Pennsylvania, and I do mean rural. Cars, trucks, SUVs and RVs kept pulling into the parking area. Groups of people climbed out of their vehicles and into the suffocating July heat. Then, they too stood on the hilltop, staring down at a grassy clearing in front of a woods.
VIDEO: Fundraiser puts fire prevention efforts in the spotlight
Making sure working smoke detectors are installed in every Terre Haute residence remains a top priority with local firefighters in a year that has seen four deaths in home fires.
- SLIDESHOW: 10 things you should buy in bulk Wholesale stores can benefit large families, but can an average family really save money there? Here are 10 things you should buy in bulk to maximize your savings.
- SLIDESHOW: Irene batters Northeast with winds, flooding Tropical Storm Irene battered New England over the weekend with high winds and torrential rains, knocking down trees and power lines and causing flooding of homes and businesses. Here is a collection of photos from upstate New York and Massachusetts.
VIDEO: Fallen police officer Brent Long honored before annual North-South football game
Braves and Patriots alike cheered in unison as a former Vigo County student-athlete was honored for his service.
VIDEO: Public packs downtown for Block Party
Thousands packed Terre Haute streets hot with sunshine Saturday for a downtown party sprawling block after block.
VIDEO: Six to face federal charges in Officer Long shooting
Six individuals accused of complicity in the death of a police officer face federal charges as law enforcement hopes to foster a sense of justice.
VIDEO: William Minnick resentenced for brutal 1981 crime
The family of a slain 1976 Terre Haute South Vigo graduate breathed a collective sigh of relief Tuesday evening when the Greencastle man convicted of her brutal murder received a maximum 160-year prison sentence.
- SLIDESHOW: 10 biggest earthquakes in eastern U.S. Earthquakes are rare on the eastern side of the country, but a handful of stronger quakes have made their mark on history. Here’s a breakdown of 10 of the largest to hit the eastern half of America, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
- SLIDESHOW: Looking for work? 30 fastest-growing jobs In a tough economy, many industries are laying off workers. So what careers are actually growing? The Bureau of Labor Statistics lists 30 jobs it projects to grow the fastest over the next several years.
- SLIDESHOW: 25 memorable high school movies Brighten up the end of your summer with a few great high school flicks. Grab your popcorn and check out this slideshow of the 25 best movies about the glory days.
VIDEO: Shelburn native uses military training at State Fair stage collapse
An Indiana Air Guardsman and medical expert found himself at the wrong place at the right time late Saturday night when a concert stage collapsed at the Indiana State Fair at Indianapolis, killing five and injuring at least 40 more.
VIDEO: Colts wrap up training camp, ready to host Redskins
Another Indianapolis Colts training camp is now history following Thursday morning’s one-hour walkthrough practice.
Haunting memories: Victims and heroes remembered at Indiana State Fair service (see Video)
Thirty-six hours after she rushed toward victims trapped under a collapsed stage at the Indiana State Fair, nurse Joy Travis returned to the fairgrounds to say a prayer.
VIDEO: National Night Out acquaints community with law enforcement agencies
A pink sunset over the Wabash River helped draw to a close another busy and successful National Night Out in Fairbanks Park on Tuesday night.
VIDEO: The Wabash Valley mourns fallen officer Brent Long
During an emotional funeral ceremony, fallen Terre Haute police officer Brent Long was remembered Monday as a role model, hero and inspiration who had a passion for public service.
VIDEO: Nearly 2 thousand people at graveside service for THPD Officer Long
A sea of uniforms overwhelmed Mount Pleasant Cemetery in eastern Vigo County as Terre Haute Police Officer Brent Long’s body was laid to rest in late afternoon Monday.
VIDEO: Community pauses one more time to pay respects to Brent Long
One week after a Terre Haute policeman was gunned down in the line of duty, the city paused a final time Monday to remember officer Brent D. Long.
VIDEO: Valley residents recognize fallen THPD officer Brent Long for his sacrifice
One day after the tragic death of a Terre Haute Police officer, an outpouring of community-wide respect may have helped to cushion the devastating blow that has left the entire city stunned.
VIDEO: Quickly organized vigil draws large crowd
Holding candles in the warm Tuesday evening air, more than 100 Terre Haute residents sang “Amazing Grace” at a quickly organized candlelight ceremony in honor of Officer Brent Long of the Terre Haute Police Department.
VIDEO: Police talk about killing of THPD officer Brent Long
A terrible tragedy unfolded on Terre Haute’s near-north side Monday afternoon when an officer with the Terre Haute Police Department was killed in the line of duty.
VIDEO: Zorah Shrine opens its historic building for tour
Curiosity and appreciation of a landmark drew dozens to a Saturday tour of the Zorah Shrine Temple Building for a look inside a historic structure seldom visited by outsiders.
- More Multimedia Headlines
- True heroism: Flight 93 rewrote conclusion to plot by 9/11 terrorists (see VIDEO)