TERRE HAUTE —
A fire caused extensive damage to a home in the 7500 block of Wabash Avenue Monday.
Initially, officials feared possible entrapment of the person who lived there, but that turned out not to be the case. No one was home when the fire broke out.
The cause was electrical in nature, said Tom Graham, Seelyville Fire Department fire chief. The department received the call at 12:34 p.m.
A neighbor contacted the fire department after he smelled smoke and then saw smoke coming out of the eaves, Graham said.
The residence that burned is behind another house that is located right off Wabash. The residences have separate addresses, and a family member lived in the house that burned.
The residence that burned will likely have to be gutted, Graham said, but “we saved the structure.” The fire was out within 10 minutes of their arrival, he said.
Other agencies responding included the Otter Creek Fire Department, Vigo County Sheriff’s Department and Trans-Care. Lifeline was on standby.