TERRE HAUTE — Thousands of children in Wabash Valley communities are on summer vacation. While this brings to mind days of fun and freedom for many school children, for the millions across our country facing hunger it means losing the one place they can count on for a meal. It is currently estimated that more than 16 million children are at risk of hunger throughout America.
The USDA’s Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) is intended to fill this gap, but serves just a fraction of those in need. Throughout the school year in the counties served by Terre Haute Catholic Charities Foodbank, school corporations provide nearly 14,000 free lunches each day. But what do these children do for a nutritious meal when the school doors are closed for the summer?
Through the SFSP, summer programs can provide up to two healthy meals or snacks per day, five days per week to children and teenagers, 18 years and younger, at approved central sites in low-income areas.
The problem is that nationally, and here locally, the Summer Food Service Program has been underutilized because many families do not know an SFSP is available for their children or a site is not available in their community. I urge you to help get the word out about this program and increase participation in our communities by forwarding this email to your friends or by calling Terre Haute Catholic Charities Foodbank at (812) 235-3424 to learn more about where you can help. Your compassion and generosity will have a profound effect in children's lives this summer.
Your gift to help feed children and families facing hunger this summer will have twice the impact thanks to a matching challenge grant from Hussman Foundation. When making your gift, please be sure to place a check in the Hussman Foundation Matching Grant box.
Summer Food Service Program locations in west central Indiana include:
• Bethany House Soup Kitchen - Terre Haute
• Anchored in Faith Ministries Preschool - Linton
• Boy Scouts of America Summer Camps
• Hyte Center - Terre Haute
• Illiana Evangelistic Association Church Camp
• Kings Harvest Foursquare - Terre Haute
• Kerusso Coffee Shop - Bicknell
• Light House Mission - Terre Haute
• Linton Community Food Pantry - Locations in Linton, Bloomfield, Jasonville, Lyons, and Worthington
• New Life Fellowship - Terre Haute
• New Life Wesleyan - Mecca
• Open Arms Christian Home - Switz City
• St. Patrick Soup Kitchen - Terre Haute
• West Vigo Community Center - West Terre Haute