TERRE HAUTE —
The damage inflicted by two major 20th century floods diminished the importance of several previous Wabash River deluges.
On March 28, 1913, the Wabash attained a record of 31 feet, 10 1⁄2 inches. On May 21, 1943, the river crested at 30 feet, 6 inches.
Contemporary Terre Haute newspapers reported that the river reached 25 feet, 8 inches above the low water mark on Aug. 3, 1875. Some argued that the river probably reached a height of 27 feet, 6 inches, or more. The discrepancy was precipitated by alterations which affected the points of measurement.
After the 1875 flood, the Indianapolis & St. Louis Railroad, which built the bridge at Tippecanoe Street (later called “The Big Four Bridge”), filled the river with thousands of yards of stone every year for several years to secure the safety of the bridge piers.
As a result, the river measured three or four feet higher at the Big Four bridge than it did at the Vandalia Bridge a few blocks south.
As subsequent events reveal, the effort to protect the piers did not save the bridge from collapse on Feb. 23, 1900, when ice displaced the tracks, causing a massive wreck involving a locomotive and 36 freight cars in a 51-car train.
On Feb. 18, 1883, the water level at the Vandalia railroad bridge reached 26 feet, during a month when two floods impacted Vigo County. This column previously discussed that flood but not the 1875 disaster, which resulted from one of the wettest July in history.
During July 1875, more than 17 inches of precipitation hit southern Indiana and rain continued into early August. Fear for the safety of several bridges was expressed in print on Aug. 1 as the river raised from 18 to 22 feet between 7 p.m., Saturday, July 31, and 7 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 1. By the night of Aug. 2, it had passed 24 feet and, at places, was three miles wide.
The levee below Prairieton collapsed on Saturday, flooding thousands of acres, and a mile and a half of the Vandalia railroad track was washed away at Reelsville.
Newspapers began comparing the water levels in 1875 to the great floods of March 1828 and June 1858. One pioneer farmer asserted that the 1828 water mark was 18 inches higher than the 1858 mark.
Railroad traffic was halted. Union Depot, usually bustling with heavy passenger traffic, was quiet. Mail delivery ceased and post office boxes were empty.
Two bridges of the Evansville & Crawfordsville Railway between Oaktown and Hazleton were out. The Vandalia bridge over Big Sugar Creek moved at least a foot and the bridges over Croy Creek and Eagle Creek were gone. The Evansville, Terre Haute & Chicago Railway lost at least three trestles in Vermillion County. The Terre Haute & Logansport Railroad’s bridge over Otter Creek and Lost Creek collapsed.
The family of John Hudson, who lived in a small house on the south side of the west end of the Vandalia bridge, was transported by ferry boat Monday. The Hudsons lost 20 head of hogs. The McGath family, which resided on an island in the river near the foot of Ohio Street, lost pigs and chickens.
Sugar Creek was nine inches higher than all previous records. Sugar Creek Township was inundated. The Terre Haute Gazette reported that William McQuilkin, John Harris, James A. Bennett, George F. Ellis and Webb Casto, among others, had suffered substantial loss in crops and land.
The Terre Haute Water Works, situated on the river near the Big Four bridge, was threatened, and employees frantically tried to protect the facility with sandbags. Many farmers lost their entire crop. The McWoods home was flooded to the eaves. Comet, an excursion boat, loaded as many of the family items as possible.
Montgomery Queen, “The King of Showmen,” and his Caravan, Circus & Menagerie were scheduled to reach the city, on Wednesday, Aug. 4, featuring a living giraffe, two giant ostriches, 11 baby lions, a pair of India elephants, red-maned sea lions, mastodon kangaroos, a hogapotmus (sic), Emidy’s British Cornet Band, James Robinson, Charles W. Fish, Little Mollie Brown, Romeo Sebastian, William E. Gorman, Madame Louise Tournaire and Master Clarence Robinson, all sensational equestrians and bareback riders.
The California-based circus could not reach Terre Haute in time for its scheduled show. Queen contacted Robert G. Hervey, president of the Illinois Midland Railroad, in Mattoon to transport his “resplendent masses of magnificence” to their destination, but Hervey could not accommodate him.
Butcher Peter Mischler, who had the contract to supply the circus and its canvasmen with meat and breadstuffs, was particularly upset. Mischler had purchased a large quantity of bread and slaughtered a herd of cattle.
It was a hapless year for Queen, a circus pioneer who advertised that he paid Fish, Mollie Brown and James Robinson more weekly than the combined salaries of any other six circus personalities. Financial setbacks incurred on the road in 1875 forced him to file for bankruptcy in 1878.
The river ceased to rise Tuesday afternoon and began to recede very slowly on Wednesday. James Paxton Voorhees, son of U.S. Sen Daniel Wolsey Voorhees, arrived Thursday morning on the first train from St. Louis since the inception of the flood. Though it ceased raining in Terre Haute by Wednesday, heavy showers continued north of the city. A large tree floating down the river struck the draw of the Big Four bridge with tremendous force. The sound of the crash could be heard for several blocks. However, there did not appear to be any damage to the bridge.
By Thursday, Aug. 5, the river was nearly five miles wide at Darwin and York, two unincorporated communities in Clark County, Ill. Communication between Darwin and the rest of the world was cut off. Poignant river scenes earned notice from the press: a corn crib with eight or nine chickens on top floating down the river and a stable containing three unaccompanied horses.
By Friday evening, Aug. 6, the river was slowly returning to its original channel, leaving thousands of dollars in damage, primarily to crops and farmland. Fortunately, there were no reported human fatalities. The 1875 flood remains among the worst floods in Vigo County history.
TERRE HAUTE —
The damage inflicted by two major 20th century floods diminished the importance of several previous Wabash River deluges.
Historical Treasure: The 1947 Terre Haute Phillies and the history of baseball in America’s Crossroads
As another spring blossoms, it is time for another season of baseball to descend upon the city of Terre Haute.
HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE: George Lance dominates intercity golf rivalry in 1927
What was expected to be a close match between two Terre Haute golfers for the 1927 Indiana Amateur Golf championship turned out to be a cakewalk.
GENEALOGY: Follow ‘Tips on Caring for Documents and Photographs’
I recently read an article called “Tips on Caring for Documents and Photographs,” by Tamara Hemmerlein, Hoosier Heritage Alliance Coordinator for the Indiana Historical Society
LOOKING BACK: 1988: Teachers issued rubber gloves to use in management of blood, other body fluids
Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.
Historical Perspective: Wabash Valley is home to prominent comedy opera stars
Comic opera, a genre consisting of light hearted musicals, was introduced in Europe during the 17th century.
In the 19th century, several female vocalists from the Wabash Valley, earned national celebrity by using that art form to excel.
Looking back: In 2003, Storm rips off half of Honey Creek Fire Department’s roof
A Saturday morning storm ripped off half of the Honey Creek Fire Department’s roof and caused heavy damage in Allendale. Wind gusts topping 60 miles an hour brought down power lines and trees throughout the county. Hail almost an inch thick and 1.5 inches of rain fell in less than an hour.
Abundance of shoe stores existed downtown
Spring to me means putting away heavy winter sweaters and bringing out fun lighter sundresses. It also means the possibility of shopping for a new dress or even new shoes.
Genalogy: Handwriting in 1700s-1800s Copperplate or English Round Hand
The primary style of old handwriting in the mid 1700s through the 1800s is sometimes called Copperplate or English Round Hand. This style of writing is much more recognizable and readable than the older Secretary Hand style discussed last week, and it is much less ornate as well.
The death of Irish Kate Preston
The lifeless body of Catherine Preston, commonly referred to as “Irish Kate,” was found Saturday morning, Oct. 5, 1895, on a sandbar at the western edge of the Wabash River wagon bridge.
Looking back: 2003: Sherertz sets nine-hole school record
Terre Haute North Vigo High School’s nine-hole record at Hulman Links was broken by golf team member Matt Sherertz who shot a 4-under-par 32 in a team-record win over Northview.
Historical perspectives: Railroads were models of innovation and growth in Haute
Railroads have played an important part in the building of our nation and in the history of Terre Haute. It is no small wonder that these amazing machines were turned into children’s toys, as well as models for the more mature train enthusiast.
‘Foreign’ letters to confuse a genealogist
Any serious family researcher will at some time or another encounter old documents in an older handwriting style that need to be read and deciphered.
1988: 700 teachers unite in protest
At least 700 teachers were absent from their Vigo County School Corp. schools as part of a job action to protest lack of progress in contract negotiations.
Genealogy: Vigo County Gold Star Honor Roll
FamilySearch International recently announced “the release of significant new enhancements to its web services that allow visitors to collaboratively build their family tree online, preserve and share precious family photos and stories, and receive personal research assistance–all for free.”
‘Far-sound’ rings in a new era
This week’s Historic Treasure is an invention that changed life, as we know it in a great way, the telephone.
Historical perspective: Venard: soldier in the War of 1812
His name was Stephen Venard. For more than 50 years he resided in Terre Haute, without fanfare, with his wife and a daughter. Much of that time was spent in the 400 block on N. First St.
Looking Back: 2003: Mark Cook brings blues home
Mark Cook returned to Terre Haute to play with fellow musicians in the Cook-N-Blues group at Brazil and Terre Haute.
Historical perspective: Attempted carriage-jacking thwarted
Nineteenth century newspapers covered several topics that might astonish current readers. For example, the front page of the Terre Haute Weekly Gazette on Nov. 16, 1878 – 135 years ago – reported on the bold attempt by four “villains” to rob two women riding in a carriage immediately west of the fairgrounds at Brown and Wabash avenues:
Genealogy: Dutchman seeks family of missing soldier
Query: I live in the Netherlands and recently I have adopted the name of American PFC Joseph P. Nelson at the Netherlands American Cemetery in Margraten. He was killed in action on Dec. 5, 1944, and his name is on the Walls of the Missing.
Sewing Society keeps hospital in linen, supplies
When Tracy Pruitt came across a small box of old ledgers and receipt books recently, his first impulse was to throw it away. But he decided to sit down and examine its contents. In doing so, he discovered a story.
Looking Back: 1963: Officials prepare for disaster
City officials were studying survival plans in case of a natural disaster or attack by an enemy source. Gilbert Leonard was the director of Vigo County Defense.
Genealogy: Gold Star Honor Roll: Vigo County
This week continues with the Gold Star Honor Roll (those who died in WW I) from the Wabash Valley. The Vigo County list is long and will be run in three parts.
River boat models capture glory of former culture
In the River portion of the latest exhibit at the Vigo County Historical Society museum are two models of river paddle boats created by Alfred F. Nehf.
Historical perspective: Babe Holland: advocate for equality
Wherever Terre Haute native William Sylvester Holland roamed, he made an impact.
Historical Perspective: Terre Haute’s architectural heritage
Much more than is commonly recognized, Terre Haute has a rich and diverse legacy of landscapes designed by some of the nation’s most talented architects.
Genealogy: A search for names from broken stones
This week there is a query about an old cemetery in Parke County, that is believed to have been destroyed:
Hidden treasures: Laborers phased out by machines
Today’s historical treasure will intone to many people an early experience of practical labor. For others, this artifact might lack a contextual notion.
Looking back: 2003: Two men rob Terre Haute First National Bank
Two men robbed Terre Haute First National Bank’s banking center at Southland Plaza, South Seventh Street and Margaret Avenue. It was the first bank robbery in Terre Haute since November 2000.
Interurban makes city Crossroads of America
Electric transportation is not a new technology. With the arrival of the electric car we are reminded that electric technology has a long history in Terre Haute.
The tale of the Wabash River
On March 14, 1913, the Indiana General Assembly adopted “On the Banks of the Wabash, Far Away,” by Terre Haute native Paul Dresser, as Indiana’s state song.
- More History Headlines
- Historical Treasure: The 1947 Terre Haute Phillies and the history of baseball in America’s Crossroads