Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.
• The 117 residents of Lakeview Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 500 Maple Ave., were evacuated and taken to other facilities due to high water.
• The Wabash Valley was experiencing the wettest spring in 107 years of record-keeping. A total of 15.63 inches of rainfall was recorded from March 1 to May 13; the normal for that period was 9.6 inches.
• New construction at Southpointe Crossing on U.S. 41 South included projects for Ritter’s Frozen Custard and Gordon’s Foods.
• Sister David Ellen Van Dyke a member of Sisters of Providence, retired as principal of Sacred Heart School, 1330 Lafayette Ave. She had worked at nine schools for a total of more than 50 years.
• The police were giving tickets to motorists to serve as reminders to wear seat belts — “Click It or Ticket.”
• Terre Haute attorney Guille Cox Jr., local teacher Katherine Utley and former Terre Haute resident Susan Porter Rose received honorary degrees at the 124th commencement program at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.
• Evergreen International Aviation Inc. was planning to use Hulman Regional Airport as a hub for distribution of U.S. Postal Service overnight express mail. Two shifts of construction workers were supplied by CDI Inc. of Terre Haute to expand an airport building to meet Evergreen’s operational deadline.
• Terre Haute Medical Lab reported it had sent away 39 blood samples for AIDS in 1985, 112 in 1986 and 127 during the first five months of the current year.
• Demolition of the former Lee School Supply building, 119-123 S. Third St., was under way.
• Sheldon Swope Art Gallery, 25 S. Seventh St., joined downtown development with plans to convert half of its first floor for museum use. Herm Rassell, a 30-year tenant, and Morris Plan, located in the building since 1916, were asked to vacate the premises within one year. Edward R. Quick was the gallery director.
• Nancy Winkelmeier was named coordinator of technical services at the Vigo County Public Library to succeed Alice Wert who was retiring.
• Dr. John A. Logan was named the new president of Rose Polytechnic Institute.
• Dr. Abe Silvertstein, a leading national space authority, returned to his native city to be the featured speaker at Terre Haute’s Armed Forces Day banquet.
n An acre of parking became available to downtown shoppers when the Cherry Street Park was opened on the north side of Cherry Street between Fifth and Sixth streets.
• Mrs. Jane Lee Wheeler Jenkins, registered nurse, was named administrator of the proposed Meadows Manor to be built at 3400 Poplar St.
• The 39th annual convention of the Indiana State Chapter of PEO Sisterhood was meeting at the Terre Haute House. Mrs. Lloyd Smith of Terre Haute was the general chairman.
• Safety checks by the Terre Haute Police Dept. were held at unannounced locations. Cars bearing a 1962 Safety Check sticker were waved through the road block. All others had to summit to the test.
•The grand opening of the completely modernized Dog n Suds, 1300 N. 13th St., offered free small mugs of root beer.