TERRE HAUTE —
• U.S. Sen. Evan Bayh announced that he was beginning negotiations for the transfer of the Federal Building, Seventh and Cherry streets, from the U.S. Postal Service to Indiana State University. Plans called for the building to house the School of Business.
• The South 13th Street improvement project from Poplar to Hulman Streets, closed since October 2001, officially opened. Widening 13th Street from Hulman south to I-70 was part of future plans.
• Arnold Hughes and Dave Phelps each received the Indiana Governor’s Meritorious Service Award. Both had been part of the Prairieton Volunteer Fire Department--Hughes for 50 years and Phelps for 38 years.
• The Exchange Club of Terre Haute distributed more than 500 bikes to children in Terre Haute and other Wabash Valley communities. This was the fourth year for this Bikes for Tykes program. Rick Crawley was the club president-elect.
• West Vigo and Woodrow Wilson won the sixth- and seventh- grade county championships in the Vigo County middle school basketball competition. West Vigo was undefeated at 12-0 for the season.
• Wind and rain storms made shambles of the displays in the first ever “Christmas in the Park” at Deming Park. The only surviving display was the Catholic Charities “Christmas Symbols” located on the back side of a shelter.
• The League for Animal Welfare honored Erna and Russell Peterson for their service to animals with a recognition dinner at the Royal Fork restaurant.
• Fayette Trustee Richard Livingston and residents were exploring the restoration of the 99-year-old former New Goshen School into a community center. The building had been vacant since the 1950s.
• The Woodrow Wilson boys team and the Chauncey Rose girls team won the Vigo County eighth grade basketball championships.
• The Vigo County Sheriff’s Merit Board voted 3-2 to hire Deborah Hughes, the department’s first female deputy.
• Dr. Thomas Conway, AP&S Clinic pediatrician, succeeded Dr. W. W. Drummy as the Vigo County health officer.
• Fredia Haviland was promoted to branch manager of the Terre Haute office of Kelly Services Inc., a temporary employment company.
• Miller Floral Co., one of the largest growers of potted plants in the Wabash Valley, held an open house to present its newly completed retail headquarters at 1630 Plum Street. William C. Miller Sr. and his sons, Bill Jr. and Mike, were the owners.
• Petitions concerning the proposed merger of the New York Central and Pennsylvania railroads were filed with the Interstate Commerce Commission by Mayor Ralph Tucker, the Vigo County AFL-CIO Labor Council and the Committee to Preserve Railroad Services. It was predicted that 500 jobs and more than $400,000 a year in taxes would be lost. On the other hand, a New York Central vice president spoke to local service clubs claiming the merger would improve service.
• The Women’s Service League gave $4,000 to Union Hospital. This gift brought the total amount given the hospital to $44,482 since the founding of the Service League 10 years before.
• The Terre Haute Newspaper Guild, Local No. 46, honored R. L. “Monty” Grant. He had joined the Star as a reporter in 1914 and retired as city editor.