TERRE HAUTE —
John Henry Barr, one of Terre Haute’s pioneer druggists, was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth.
But, with able assistance from a gifted spouse, he helped raise two sons who carved substantial niches in their respective professions: politics and engineering.
His early life was a struggle. He was born Sept. 2, 1828 in Leesburg, Va., but moved with his parents to Zanesville, Ohio, two years later. His father died in 1837, leaving a family of four boys.
At age 9, John Henry became an apprentice in a tobacco shop. His goal was to become a tobacconist, a specialist in dealing with tobacco and its many accouterments. But he hated the work. As soon as his apprentice term expired, he became a house painter.
He was still painting houses when he relocated in Terre Haute in 1846. Two years later he united with Thomas H. Barr, his younger brother, in the wholesale and retail drug business at Fourth and Wabash.
Meanwhile, he met and married Eliza Tillotson, daughter of Elijah Tillotson, the first mayor the Town of Terre Haute, on May 2, 1850. She was an extraordinary woman. An advocate of education, Eliza was a teacher at the County Seminary during the 1840s.
The couple had seven children: George, Henry, Sarah, Mary, John Henry II, Margaret and Martha. The elder Barr had a strong work ethic. During the Civil War, he delivered drugs and medical supplies to Union troops in the field despite his poor health.
John Henry’s failing health forced him to withdraw from the Terre Haute partnership in 1867 and move to Mankato, Minn. At first he entered the banking business there but, after a year, founded a wagon and plow manufacturing firm, which he maintained until his death on Nov. 27, 1869. Eliza survived until June 5, 1890.
Son Henry Austin Tillotson died as a teenager but the two other Barr boys made significant contributions to society in science and politics respectively.
Oldest son George Tillotson Barr, born Feb. 4, 1851, attended Terre Haute High School and the State Normal School at Mankato, where he met and, on June 24, 1873, wed Clara Lucille Hersey.
After investing in Mankato Tile, Fire Brick and Clay Co., George got involved in Republican politics, serving one term as an alderman and one term as mayor of Mankato. He later was named to the Mankato Board of Education and the Minnesota Board of Trade. He also was on the board of managers of the State Normal School in 1884-85.
Praised for his honesty and accuracy, George was elected to represent Blue Earth County in the Minnesota legislature in 1889. After serving one term in the House, he was elected to four consecutive two-year terms as state senator. He was president pro-tempore of the Senate for the sessions in 1895 and 1897.
In April 1902, George and Clara relocated to Orange County. Calif., where George became involved in a carriage accessories business. He died there on Aug. 28, 1928.
John Henry Barr II, born June 19, 1861, secured a Mechanical Engineering degree and a master’s of science from the University of Minnesota. After his marriage to Katherine Kennedy on June 4, 1884, the couple relocated to Ithaca, N.Y., where John Henry II enrolled in graduate school at Cornell University.
He earned a master’s of mechanical engineering from Cornell in 1889 and joined the faculty in 1891. Four years later he was elevated to associate professor of machine design and became a full professor of machine design and mechanical engineering in 1898.
While at Cornell, Barr wrote several technical papers on machine design and began work on a textbook, “Kinematics of Machinery.” But before his book was published in 1905, Barr resigned from Cornell to become director and manager of Smith Premier Typewriter Co. in Syracuse, N.Y.
Between 1909 and 1913, he was a consulting engineer for the Union Typewriter Co.
From 1913 to 1923, Barr was a consultant for Remington Typewriter Co., competing with Arthur J. Briggs, a former co-employee at Smith, to design a portable typewriter.
According to the patent application dated May 21, 1918, the Terre Haute native was the sole inventor of the world’s first four-bank portable typewriter. The patent was granted Oct. 28, 1919.
The state of the art office machine was introduced at the New York Business Show during October 1920. Capable of doing everything a standard typewriter could do, Barr’s portable was far ahead of its time.
Though attached to an aircraft armament section in Washington, D.C. during World War I, Barr later became a major in the ordnance department. However, he continued to work on enhancing the portable typewriter. During the 34-year period between 1903 and March 27, 1937, the date of his death, he applied for more than 60 patents.
Barr left Remington in 1923 to go to work for Morse Chain Co., the manufacturer of power transmission equipment. This move led to the establishment of Barr-Morse Corp. of Ithaca, N.Y.
A competitive environment existed in the world of portable typewriters beginning in 1926 with Barr-Morse, Remington, Corona, Royal and Underwood as the major players.
Barr-Morse was the only one to use a basket shift, a feature otherwise available only in standard non-portable typewriters.
The Barr Portable was built in Ithaca until 1937. After John Henry Barr’s death, Barr-Morse sold its typewriter production business, including the tooling and rights to the “Barr” name, to a new corporation: Barr Typewriter Corporation, owned by men whose last names were Koret and Kingsbury.
The new company moved operations to an industrial facility in Weedsport, N.Y. Salvatore Leonardi managed the factory. The firm boasted two slogans: “Small enough to carry off, sturdy enough to carry on” and “You can use the Barr wherever you are.”
For a while, Barr portable typewriters were sold by the Macy Department Store, using the Macy label. Production of typewriters at the Weedsport plant apparently terminated in 1939.
For many years the Barr Portable typewriter was made in only one model. In 1929, Barr-Morse began making (1) the Barr Universal, the “standard” machine; (2) the Barr Special, a stripped down, budget machine; and (3) the Barr Wide Carriage Portable, with a 13-inch writing line.
TERRE HAUTE —
John Henry Barr, one of Terre Haute’s pioneer druggists, was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth.
Historical Treasure: The 1947 Terre Haute Phillies and the history of baseball in America’s Crossroads
As another spring blossoms, it is time for another season of baseball to descend upon the city of Terre Haute.
HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE: George Lance dominates intercity golf rivalry in 1927
What was expected to be a close match between two Terre Haute golfers for the 1927 Indiana Amateur Golf championship turned out to be a cakewalk.
GENEALOGY: Follow ‘Tips on Caring for Documents and Photographs’
I recently read an article called “Tips on Caring for Documents and Photographs,” by Tamara Hemmerlein, Hoosier Heritage Alliance Coordinator for the Indiana Historical Society
LOOKING BACK: 1988: Teachers issued rubber gloves to use in management of blood, other body fluids
Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.
Historical Perspective: Wabash Valley is home to prominent comedy opera stars
Comic opera, a genre consisting of light hearted musicals, was introduced in Europe during the 17th century.
In the 19th century, several female vocalists from the Wabash Valley, earned national celebrity by using that art form to excel.
Looking back: In 2003, Storm rips off half of Honey Creek Fire Department’s roof
A Saturday morning storm ripped off half of the Honey Creek Fire Department’s roof and caused heavy damage in Allendale. Wind gusts topping 60 miles an hour brought down power lines and trees throughout the county. Hail almost an inch thick and 1.5 inches of rain fell in less than an hour.
Abundance of shoe stores existed downtown
Spring to me means putting away heavy winter sweaters and bringing out fun lighter sundresses. It also means the possibility of shopping for a new dress or even new shoes.
Genalogy: Handwriting in 1700s-1800s Copperplate or English Round Hand
The primary style of old handwriting in the mid 1700s through the 1800s is sometimes called Copperplate or English Round Hand. This style of writing is much more recognizable and readable than the older Secretary Hand style discussed last week, and it is much less ornate as well.
The death of Irish Kate Preston
The lifeless body of Catherine Preston, commonly referred to as “Irish Kate,” was found Saturday morning, Oct. 5, 1895, on a sandbar at the western edge of the Wabash River wagon bridge.
Looking back: 2003: Sherertz sets nine-hole school record
Terre Haute North Vigo High School’s nine-hole record at Hulman Links was broken by golf team member Matt Sherertz who shot a 4-under-par 32 in a team-record win over Northview.
Historical perspectives: Railroads were models of innovation and growth in Haute
Railroads have played an important part in the building of our nation and in the history of Terre Haute. It is no small wonder that these amazing machines were turned into children’s toys, as well as models for the more mature train enthusiast.
‘Foreign’ letters to confuse a genealogist
Any serious family researcher will at some time or another encounter old documents in an older handwriting style that need to be read and deciphered.
1988: 700 teachers unite in protest
At least 700 teachers were absent from their Vigo County School Corp. schools as part of a job action to protest lack of progress in contract negotiations.
Genealogy: Vigo County Gold Star Honor Roll
FamilySearch International recently announced “the release of significant new enhancements to its web services that allow visitors to collaboratively build their family tree online, preserve and share precious family photos and stories, and receive personal research assistance–all for free.”
‘Far-sound’ rings in a new era
This week’s Historic Treasure is an invention that changed life, as we know it in a great way, the telephone.
Historical perspective: Venard: soldier in the War of 1812
His name was Stephen Venard. For more than 50 years he resided in Terre Haute, without fanfare, with his wife and a daughter. Much of that time was spent in the 400 block on N. First St.
Looking Back: 2003: Mark Cook brings blues home
Mark Cook returned to Terre Haute to play with fellow musicians in the Cook-N-Blues group at Brazil and Terre Haute.
Historical perspective: Attempted carriage-jacking thwarted
Nineteenth century newspapers covered several topics that might astonish current readers. For example, the front page of the Terre Haute Weekly Gazette on Nov. 16, 1878 – 135 years ago – reported on the bold attempt by four “villains” to rob two women riding in a carriage immediately west of the fairgrounds at Brown and Wabash avenues:
Genealogy: Dutchman seeks family of missing soldier
Query: I live in the Netherlands and recently I have adopted the name of American PFC Joseph P. Nelson at the Netherlands American Cemetery in Margraten. He was killed in action on Dec. 5, 1944, and his name is on the Walls of the Missing.
Sewing Society keeps hospital in linen, supplies
When Tracy Pruitt came across a small box of old ledgers and receipt books recently, his first impulse was to throw it away. But he decided to sit down and examine its contents. In doing so, he discovered a story.
Looking Back: 1963: Officials prepare for disaster
City officials were studying survival plans in case of a natural disaster or attack by an enemy source. Gilbert Leonard was the director of Vigo County Defense.
Genealogy: Gold Star Honor Roll: Vigo County
This week continues with the Gold Star Honor Roll (those who died in WW I) from the Wabash Valley. The Vigo County list is long and will be run in three parts.
River boat models capture glory of former culture
In the River portion of the latest exhibit at the Vigo County Historical Society museum are two models of river paddle boats created by Alfred F. Nehf.
Historical perspective: Babe Holland: advocate for equality
Wherever Terre Haute native William Sylvester Holland roamed, he made an impact.
Historical Perspective: Terre Haute’s architectural heritage
Much more than is commonly recognized, Terre Haute has a rich and diverse legacy of landscapes designed by some of the nation’s most talented architects.
Genealogy: A search for names from broken stones
This week there is a query about an old cemetery in Parke County, that is believed to have been destroyed:
Hidden treasures: Laborers phased out by machines
Today’s historical treasure will intone to many people an early experience of practical labor. For others, this artifact might lack a contextual notion.
Looking back: 2003: Two men rob Terre Haute First National Bank
Two men robbed Terre Haute First National Bank’s banking center at Southland Plaza, South Seventh Street and Margaret Avenue. It was the first bank robbery in Terre Haute since November 2000.
Interurban makes city Crossroads of America
Electric transportation is not a new technology. With the arrival of the electric car we are reminded that electric technology has a long history in Terre Haute.
The tale of the Wabash River
On March 14, 1913, the Indiana General Assembly adopted “On the Banks of the Wabash, Far Away,” by Terre Haute native Paul Dresser, as Indiana’s state song.
- More History Headlines
- Historical Treasure: The 1947 Terre Haute Phillies and the history of baseball in America’s Crossroads