TERRE HAUTE —
Traveling theater troupes performed in Terre Haute before the village was incorporated on Jan. 26, 1832.
A poster announcing that “A Company of Players” would perform Friday evening, April 30, 1930, “at Mr. Dole’s Ballroom, which has been commodiously fitted up for the purpose,” was published on April 29 by the “Western Register and Terre Haute Advertiser.”
“Mr. Dole’s Ballroom” was located in the Dole Hotel at the northeast corner of Third and Mulberry streets.
It was not a one-night stand. The “nights of performance” were “Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.”
The plays included a presentation of “The Weathercock,” a “laughable farce” in two acts, followed by “G. Colman’s witty afterpiece” called “The Review.” Both were common fare for traveling theater companies during the early 19th Century.
The players included the manager, Mr. Tryon, probably William Tryon, who first brought a troupe of actors to St. Louis in 1836. The others were Mr. and Mrs. Dyke, Mr. Taylor, Mr. Chaddoack and Mr. Vanderburgh.
“Mr. Dyke” was commonly known as “Daddy Dyke,” reputedly because he was “the father of 76 children.” Mrs. Dyke, though never referred to as “Mammy Dyke,” apparently was the most talented member of the troupe.
One critic in Nashville, Tenn., said: “Mrs. Dyke has a good voice but she fails in managing it and moderating its tones properly. She also has a good figure. But she rises on her toes and totters too much.”
It is possible that the Samuel Drake Dramatic Company performed in Terre Haute before 1830. Drake’s troupe — universally recognized as the first traveling theater group to perform west of the Alleghenies — appeared in Vincennes during 1820.
Drake’s company originally consisted of the elder Drake, sons, Sam Jr., Alexander and James; daughters Martha and Julia; 23-year old Frances Ann Denny; 19-year old Noah Ludlow; and James Douglas, who drowned while bathing in the Wabash River at Vincennes.
Miss Denny, the most talented member of the company, was not with the Drakes in 1820. She had embarked on a solo tour, making her acclaimed New York debut on April 20, 1820 after successful appearances in Quebec, Montreal and Boston.
She rejoined the Drakes in 1823 and married Alexander Drake. Though he died on stage in Cincinnati on Feb. 10, 1830, Frances was known for the rest of her stage life — even after her marriage in 1840 to Terre Haute poet-lawyer George W. Cutter — as “Mrs. Drake, First Lady of American Stage” and “The Star of the West.”
Hotels, taverns, fraternal halls, pork houses, the Vigo County Courthouse, private residences and, later, Town Hall (north of Ohio St. on the east side of Third St.) hosted lectures, musical groups and theatrical performances before Terre Haute had its first “entertainment palace” in 1857.
Early Pork House at First and Mulberry streets was renovated to host legitimate theater before 1840. The Thespian Society of Terre Haute offered occasional amateur productions there. When the famous Jefferson family came to town in 1840 to present “Rip Van Winkle,” Early’s Pork House hosted the event.
On Feb. 14, 1852, Terre Haute already located (1) on the Wabash River, navigable eight months a year; (2) the National Road and (3) the Wabash & Erie Canal, when the Terre Haute & Richmond Railroad made it maiden excursion to Indianapolis, providing another link to connect the eastern U.S. to the West, aiding touring theater troupes.
Small theaters were built in Carr’s Hall, at the southwest corner of Fourth and Ohio streets, and in Corinthian Hall, on the northwest corner of Third and Wabash, before the Civil War. Celebrated San Francisco minstrel Billy Birch and singer Susan Denin appeared at Carr’s Hall during its short existence.
On Dec. 15, 1864, Thomas Dowling opened an entertainment palace on the west side of Sixth Street between Wabash and Cherry. Dowling Hall boasted “the largest stage in Indiana.” As the resident trustee of the Wabash & Erie Canal, Dowling relocated the canal headquarters to the new structure, renting the structure on Ohio Street that had housed the former headquarters.
Almost immediately Terre Haute began to nurture a reputation as an entertainment mecca. In 1867, Terre Haute hosted the Indiana State Fair at the new agricultural association fairgrounds at Brown and Wabash avenues, adding to the city’s allure.
On March 20, 1869, a group of 40 investors headed by William Warren organized the Terre Haute Opera House Co. after a series of meetings. Stockholders chose to build an amphitheater — as grand as any existing west of the Alleghenies — at the northeast corner of Fourth and Wabash, then known as “The Spinning Wheel Corner.”
Meanwhile, Frederick Douglass, suffragist Mary Livermore, magnetic but controversial Shakespearean actor Edwin Forrest and numerous other show business names performed at Dowling Hall. Yet few were as popular as legendary minstrel Billy Emerson.
Emerson brought “20 Star Performers” to Dowling Hall for three days on Feb. 27, 1870. One of the performers might have been Luke Schoolcraft, who opened the Academy of Music night club in the former St. Stephen’s Church on North Fifth Street a few months later. Schoolcraft stayed for about a year.
One theater expert declared: “Emerson is, without doubt, the best minstrel who ever lived! Others could do things better than he could; for instance, he was never so funny as Billy Manning, he could never do work just like Billy Sweatnam, nor were his stump speeches as good as Billy Rice’s, or even Hughie Dougherty’s; but he still could do something of everything.
“As an end man and dancer, he never had a superior and few equals, and who will ever forget his beautiful natural, rich, pathetic tenor voice?”
“Emerson stands absolutely alone in his chosen profession,” another critic wrote. “Never before his advent had his equal been seen, nor will we ever see again.”
After the splendid Terre Haute Opera House opened on Dec. 19, 1870, the main challengers to Emerson appeared there, including Duprez & Benedict, Thatcher, Primrose & West, Cal Wagner, Col. Jack Haverly, Bert Williams and “The Dean of Minstrelsy,” Al G. Field.
TERRE HAUTE —
Traveling theater troupes performed in Terre Haute before the village was incorporated on Jan. 26, 1832.
Historical Treasure: The 1947 Terre Haute Phillies and the history of baseball in America’s Crossroads
As another spring blossoms, it is time for another season of baseball to descend upon the city of Terre Haute.
HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE: George Lance dominates intercity golf rivalry in 1927
What was expected to be a close match between two Terre Haute golfers for the 1927 Indiana Amateur Golf championship turned out to be a cakewalk.
GENEALOGY: Follow ‘Tips on Caring for Documents and Photographs’
I recently read an article called “Tips on Caring for Documents and Photographs,” by Tamara Hemmerlein, Hoosier Heritage Alliance Coordinator for the Indiana Historical Society
LOOKING BACK: 1988: Teachers issued rubber gloves to use in management of blood, other body fluids
Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.
Historical Perspective: Wabash Valley is home to prominent comedy opera stars
Comic opera, a genre consisting of light hearted musicals, was introduced in Europe during the 17th century.
In the 19th century, several female vocalists from the Wabash Valley, earned national celebrity by using that art form to excel.
Looking back: In 2003, Storm rips off half of Honey Creek Fire Department’s roof
A Saturday morning storm ripped off half of the Honey Creek Fire Department’s roof and caused heavy damage in Allendale. Wind gusts topping 60 miles an hour brought down power lines and trees throughout the county. Hail almost an inch thick and 1.5 inches of rain fell in less than an hour.
Abundance of shoe stores existed downtown
Spring to me means putting away heavy winter sweaters and bringing out fun lighter sundresses. It also means the possibility of shopping for a new dress or even new shoes.
Genalogy: Handwriting in 1700s-1800s Copperplate or English Round Hand
The primary style of old handwriting in the mid 1700s through the 1800s is sometimes called Copperplate or English Round Hand. This style of writing is much more recognizable and readable than the older Secretary Hand style discussed last week, and it is much less ornate as well.
The death of Irish Kate Preston
The lifeless body of Catherine Preston, commonly referred to as “Irish Kate,” was found Saturday morning, Oct. 5, 1895, on a sandbar at the western edge of the Wabash River wagon bridge.
Looking back: 2003: Sherertz sets nine-hole school record
Terre Haute North Vigo High School’s nine-hole record at Hulman Links was broken by golf team member Matt Sherertz who shot a 4-under-par 32 in a team-record win over Northview.
Historical perspectives: Railroads were models of innovation and growth in Haute
Railroads have played an important part in the building of our nation and in the history of Terre Haute. It is no small wonder that these amazing machines were turned into children’s toys, as well as models for the more mature train enthusiast.
‘Foreign’ letters to confuse a genealogist
Any serious family researcher will at some time or another encounter old documents in an older handwriting style that need to be read and deciphered.
1988: 700 teachers unite in protest
At least 700 teachers were absent from their Vigo County School Corp. schools as part of a job action to protest lack of progress in contract negotiations.
Genealogy: Vigo County Gold Star Honor Roll
FamilySearch International recently announced “the release of significant new enhancements to its web services that allow visitors to collaboratively build their family tree online, preserve and share precious family photos and stories, and receive personal research assistance–all for free.”
‘Far-sound’ rings in a new era
This week’s Historic Treasure is an invention that changed life, as we know it in a great way, the telephone.
Historical perspective: Venard: soldier in the War of 1812
His name was Stephen Venard. For more than 50 years he resided in Terre Haute, without fanfare, with his wife and a daughter. Much of that time was spent in the 400 block on N. First St.
Looking Back: 2003: Mark Cook brings blues home
Mark Cook returned to Terre Haute to play with fellow musicians in the Cook-N-Blues group at Brazil and Terre Haute.
Historical perspective: Attempted carriage-jacking thwarted
Nineteenth century newspapers covered several topics that might astonish current readers. For example, the front page of the Terre Haute Weekly Gazette on Nov. 16, 1878 – 135 years ago – reported on the bold attempt by four “villains” to rob two women riding in a carriage immediately west of the fairgrounds at Brown and Wabash avenues:
Genealogy: Dutchman seeks family of missing soldier
Query: I live in the Netherlands and recently I have adopted the name of American PFC Joseph P. Nelson at the Netherlands American Cemetery in Margraten. He was killed in action on Dec. 5, 1944, and his name is on the Walls of the Missing.
Sewing Society keeps hospital in linen, supplies
When Tracy Pruitt came across a small box of old ledgers and receipt books recently, his first impulse was to throw it away. But he decided to sit down and examine its contents. In doing so, he discovered a story.
Looking Back: 1963: Officials prepare for disaster
City officials were studying survival plans in case of a natural disaster or attack by an enemy source. Gilbert Leonard was the director of Vigo County Defense.
Genealogy: Gold Star Honor Roll: Vigo County
This week continues with the Gold Star Honor Roll (those who died in WW I) from the Wabash Valley. The Vigo County list is long and will be run in three parts.
River boat models capture glory of former culture
In the River portion of the latest exhibit at the Vigo County Historical Society museum are two models of river paddle boats created by Alfred F. Nehf.
Historical perspective: Babe Holland: advocate for equality
Wherever Terre Haute native William Sylvester Holland roamed, he made an impact.
Historical Perspective: Terre Haute’s architectural heritage
Much more than is commonly recognized, Terre Haute has a rich and diverse legacy of landscapes designed by some of the nation’s most talented architects.
Genealogy: A search for names from broken stones
This week there is a query about an old cemetery in Parke County, that is believed to have been destroyed:
Hidden treasures: Laborers phased out by machines
Today’s historical treasure will intone to many people an early experience of practical labor. For others, this artifact might lack a contextual notion.
Looking back: 2003: Two men rob Terre Haute First National Bank
Two men robbed Terre Haute First National Bank’s banking center at Southland Plaza, South Seventh Street and Margaret Avenue. It was the first bank robbery in Terre Haute since November 2000.
Interurban makes city Crossroads of America
Electric transportation is not a new technology. With the arrival of the electric car we are reminded that electric technology has a long history in Terre Haute.
The tale of the Wabash River
On March 14, 1913, the Indiana General Assembly adopted “On the Banks of the Wabash, Far Away,” by Terre Haute native Paul Dresser, as Indiana’s state song.
- More History Headlines
- Historical Treasure: The 1947 Terre Haute Phillies and the history of baseball in America’s Crossroads