- From the Press Box
- From The Press Box: MotoGP is a fun racing event, but did enough fans see it? The operative thing to keep in mind when watching MotoGP is to not judge a book by its cover. The bikes? At first glance, they don’t look all that impressive to the untrained eye. Really, they don’t look that much different from a spruced-up motorcycle you’d see flying past you on Third Street on a Saturday night.
- From Terre Haute to the Major Leagues: Former Sycamore catcher teaming with MLB protege Stephen Strasburg Nevin Ashley, a former Indiana State catcher, will play for the Phoenix Desert Dogs of the Arizona Fall League in October and November. A teammate of Ashley’s will be pitcher Stephen Strasburg, the Washington Nationals’ recent No. 1 draft pick. Strasburg signed a multimillion-dollar contract with the Nationals’ organization earlier this week.
- From the Press Box: Quincy loss was worst-case scenario for ISU football There’s no point in sugar-coating Indiana State’s 26-20 fell-from-ahead overtime loss to Quincy on Thursday. It was the worst case scenario for the Sycamore program.
- FROM THE PRESS BOX: Colts Camp is good for Rose, too Since I began covering Indianapolis Colts training camp for the Tribune-Star, I’d been to my share of Saturday morning practices.
- From The Press Box: Golden vs. golf … golf is winning There they were stacked in a dusty enclave in my garage. Staring at me … perhaps even taunting me. It was a set of golf clubs that had not been used in at least 10 years. I had taken them off my dad’s hands for reasons unbeknownst to anyone in my family considering I was approaching my second decade of having turned my back on the sport.
- TODD GOLDEN: Being a stepping stone is beyond ISU’s control The column I wrote last Monday about the open Indiana State baseball position took a black-and-white stance on an issue that I knew wasn’t a black-and-white issue to those who care about it.
- From The Press Box: Mayfield case still raises doubts Not once in all of my years of going to NASCAR races in Indianapolis or elsewhere have I ever thought to myself ... I wonder how Jeremy Mayfield is going to do? Never have I considered what the fan reaction to Mayfield at a race would be because I knew it would be polite applause followed by silence. It never crossed my mind to think of him as a contender, a pretender, or a factor in any way.
- TODD GOLDEN: The home run that got away Andy Amey is usually the Tribune-Star’s regular when waxing nostalgic about his vacation experiences, but with apologies to Andy, I have my own travel travails to tell.
- FROM THE PRESS BOX: Another busy year comes to an end When you’re a sportswriter, especially one whose job is based around collegiate and high school seasons, your life is not unlike the way it was when you were in school yourself. You don’t live on a January-to-December treadmill, you time your life around that August-to-June school-year cycle when sports are being played.
- FROM THE PRESS BOX: Win or lose, DeGroote basks in achievement West Vigo baseball coach Steve DeGroote triumphantly held West Vigo’s trophy aloft to an adoring Viking crowd at Victory Field on Saturday. As he showed it to every section of the sizable green-clad throng, the look on his face was one of pure joy.
- From The Press Box: IHSAA just never gets it right Ah spring. The greening of the trees. The start of baseball. The Indianapolis 500. And IHSAA postseason bungling. Once again, the spring sports postseason cycle has exposed the obvious — the IHSAA does not know how to handle its class system, a viable postseason schedule, or how to make the postseason accessible to the average fan and manageable for the average school district.
- From the Press Box: ISU fans put to the test by winning baseball From a purely baseball standpoint, there’s plenty of reasons to spend a few bucks to see the Sycamores play. The most obvious that they’re in the middle of a Missouri Valley Conference pennant race.
- Is it over yet? NFL Draft overkill is jammin’ me I don’t often channel Tom Petty, but on the grand, glorious uber-national holiday that is the NFL Draft, I can’t get him out of my head today.
From the Press Box: ISU baseball championship talk? Why not?
Going into season, Indiana State’s baseball aspirations — at least as seen by those not on the team — were modest. Rightfully so given where the Sycamores have been in the Missouri Valley Conference pecking order in recent seasons.
The goal was simple: do what the Sycamores haven’t done since 2005 … qualify for the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament. Once the trip to Wichita was clinched, anything from there would be gravy as ISU coach Lindsay Meggs’ continued to build the program.
- From the Press Box: Kelly case highlights NCAA eligbility absurdity It all seems so obvious. Jake Kelly suffers a tragedy when his mother tragically dies in a June, 2008 plane crash. Kelly wants to transfer to a school closer to his home, giving up a burgeoning Big Ten career to do so.
From the Press Box: A reluctant vote to expand the NCAA tournament field
Yes! The first two days of the NCAA Tournament!
Along with baseball opening day, the Indianapolis 500, and a few other events, there’s nothing on the annual sports calendar I anticipate more. Upsets! Cinderella stories! Teams you’ve never heard of rising to the occasion!
- From the Press Box: Duncan keeps the future bright at Marshall The future for Marshall twin brothers Logan and Lucas Eitel is blue — Sycamore blue. Both will be walk-ons for Indiana State’s men’s basketball program next season. Even though the Eitels stamp on the Marshall boys basketball program is massive — no Lions team has ever gone as far in a rich basketball history — there’s no reason for Marshall to be blue just because the Eitels will be.
- From the Press Box: Tunnell deserved a good day From the time he stepped foot on Indiana State’s campus in 2005, it hasn’t been easy for Indiana State senior forward Jay Tunnell. The tally since Tunnell came to ISU as a highly-touted freshman from Topeka, Kan., is as follows: two coaches, three (at least) knee surgeries, 51 victories, 70 losses, 112 starts, 1,133 points.
- From the Press Box: ISU’s best win in five years led to sleepless night I just got home after the drive from Normal, Ill. … and I can’t get to sleep. Sportswriters — good ones anyway — pride themselves on being objective. We’re not fans, we’re not cheerleaders, we’re there to do a job. Most of the time, we do it coldly and matter-of-factly.
- From The Press Box: After loss, Sycamores vow to look in the mirror There was a lot for the Indiana State men’s basketball players to be embarrassed about after its 65-59 loss to Evansville at Hulman Center on Sunday.
- From the Press Box: On-again, off-again nature will be Colts’ undoing It was all wine and roses for the Indianapolis Colts after their 31-21 victory over the Detroit Lions on Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium. After all, a win is a win. The Colts have seven of them in a row, they’re 10-4, and poised for their seventh straight playoff season.
- From the Press Box: Sycamores can’t avoid their ‘big three’ After Indiana State was routed by 40 points against Louisville on Saturday, ISU coach Kevin McKenna said the other two games at Louisville’s Freedom Hall would test the toughness and character of the Sycamores.
From the Press Box: ISU’s players take matters into their own hands before Lamar victory
If it appeared that Indiana State’s players were slow to react to their lowly lot in an 0-6 start, you weren’t the only one to notice.
After some prodding from the ISU coaching staff, the Sycamores decided that the team’s soul-searching needed to be done in the open. After regular team meetings with the coaches on Saturday night, the players had a team-only meeting to try and cure what had ailed ISU in its poor start.
- From the Press Box: Bitter loss, but a good future for Sycamores What else can you feel but pity for the Indiana State football team? In asking that, I know I’m treading on thin ice. Players don’t want to hear about pity, it can be condescending toward the effort they put in to win. No player wants anyone to feel sorry for them.
- From the Press Box: ISU won’t truly make progress until it becomes a fabric of TH life One of the first things you see when you de-plane at Fargo, N.D.’s tiny Hector Airport is a green-and-yellow North Dakota State athletics advertisement. No big deal you might think, until you realize it’s just the first salvo in a NDSU marketing blitz.
From the Press Box: Unheralded Colts bail out Manning and the stars
If you came to Pittsburgh’s Heinz Field to see Indianapolis Colts’ stars show their stuff, you probably walked away disappointed.
Peyton Manning? He got better as the game went along, but was not consistently on the mark thoughout the game, Manning completed a pedestrian 21 of 40 passes for 240 yards — 81 of the yards off Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor’s hands and into Reggie Wayne’s for two receptions including a touchdown.
- From the Press Box: Can ISU men follow in Drake’s path? It was probably asking too much. The question was posed to the Missouri Valley Conference coaches: Which team that finished in the bottom half of the league has the chance to be this year’s Drake?
- From The Press Box: Ryan Roberts is the man at QB for Sycamores There is no way on God’s green earth you can pinpoint one position on the Indiana State football team and say, ‘that’s where the problem lies.’ ISU’s problems are way too deep-seeded and spread throughout nearly every phase of the game to boil ISU’s 0-8 start down to one position.
- From the Press Box: Boom! Pow! Colts’ defense rises up Baltimore’s visit to Lucas Oil Stadium was supposed to be what you might call a Batman game. Boom! Pow! Zap! The Ravens’ running game was going to put a hurt on the Indianapolis Colts’ Joker-like run defense. It was a Batman game all right … the Ravens got clocked.
- From the Press Box: Colts fans, welcome to the great outdoors You just can’t take your eyes off Lucas Oil Stadium. It was the star of the show during its debut Sunday, certainly more so than the mostly listless Indianapolis Colts were.
- More From the Press Box Headlines