- From the Press Box
From the Press Box: An open letter to Dr. Daniel Bradley on Indiana State University athletics
Dear Dr. Daniel Bradley,
Welcome to Terre Haute! And I mean, welcome to Terre Haute. The presence of the university president in the city the university calls home is a welcome site indeed for ISU students, faculty, administrators and alumni.
- From the Press Box: ISU’s transition starts with camaraderie There are no expansion teams in college football, but if there were, the Indiana State football program would come close to fitting the bill.
- From The Press Box: Soccer has come a long way Throughout the Euro 2008 soccer tournament, the Tribune-Star has tried its best to let you know all of the goings on in Switzerland and Austria in what has been a thrilling tournament. That alone shows how far soccer has come, but it really hit home for me during a conversation earlier this week.
- From the Press Box: Danica was out of control When Dan Wheldon won the 2005 Indianapolis 500, he wasn’t pleased that his winning thunder was stolen by then-rookie Danica Patrick.
- From the Press Box: Wooster coach fires back at ‘classless’ accusation by Rose It must be said that Friday’s NCAA Division III baseball regional between Rose-Hulman and Wooster, won by Wooster 11-8 in 13 innings on a two-out grand slam, was the most unusual game I have ever covered in my 16-year career, and conceivably, one of the most fascinating baseball games I’ve witnessed in 30 years of watching baseball as a fan or reporter.
- IU’s Phegley rocks the Big Ten with .447 average If you were late for Josh Phegley’s college baseball coming out party, don’t worry about it, Phegley probably doesn’t mind.
- From the Press Box: Enthusiasm a great way to start out for IU's Crean Indiana University introduced new men’s basketball coach Tom Crean in the Hoosier Room in the bowels of Memorial Stadium on Wednesday.
- From the Press Box: Nostradamus is quaking in his boots, it’s baseball prediction time Hey! Remember back in September when I picked the Chargers and Rams to meet in Super Bowl XLII? In print? For all of the Tribune-Star and Tribstar.com’s readers to see?
- There’s nothing like a unified opening day Yep. The opening day of the IndyCar season is a beautiful thing. At long last.
- From the Press Box: Transparency needed in NCAA selection process By the time you read this, chances are you won’t care about the why’s and wherefore’s of who’s in and who was left out of the NCAA Tournament.
- From the Pressbox: ISU’s gradual progress is the norm If you’re an Indiana State men’s basketball fan, it was wise to step away from all things Sycamores for a few days. It was prudent to set your mind adrift and secure all sharp objects in the wake of ISU’s 83-73 loss to Missouri State on Saturday.
From the Press Box: Meaningful games? For ISU? Really?
It’s the last week of the regular season in the Missouri Valley Conference … Indiana State’s men’s basketball team has meaningful games to play.
Soooo … how does this work exactly?
- ISU hoops recruit shows his skills for Omaha Bryan
- From the Press Box: No rush, no Super Bowl repeat for Colts The first two times Marvin Harrison’s name blared over the public address system, he received some of the loudest cheers heard in the heard in the RCA Dome this season.
- From the Press Box: Ensemble cast makes Gabe Moore’s show a hit for ISU Coaches and fans alike love it when victories play out as Indiana State’s 74-56 win over Northern Iowa did on Saturday at Hulman Center.
- From the Press Box: Indianapolis wins first battle in rhythm war These are unsettling times for the Indianapolis Colts. Not because the Colts are in any playoff danger … obviously they’re not. The Colts already know they’re a No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs … and even know their likely opponent (Pittsburgh) given that the Cleveland Browns lost on Sunday, helping the Steelers clinch the AFC North and likely No. 3 seed.
- From the Press Box: Indiana State offensive balance still a work in progress It was a play where your heart cried out for Jay Tunnell … or you wanted to pull your hair out. With just under nine minutes to go in the first half, Tunnell beat his Bowling Green defender in the post, got the feed, and had an open path to the basket.
- From the Pressbox: Colts’ Tony Dungy masters the art of the challenge flag Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy said that mastering the art of when and when not to make a replay challenge was a matter of mastering the obvious Sunday in the Colts’ 28-25 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars.
From The Press Box: Marshall’s intensity needs to be contagious
The old adage is lies, damn lies and statistics.
But when it came to intensity from each of Indiana State’s players in ISU’s 71-60 loss to Purdue on Saturday, statistics tell the truth.
- From the Press Box: ISU can’t let shadows of shooting doubt determine fate Three games is almost always too small of a sample to make any judgments about a college basketball team. But that’s all it’s taken to allow temptation to set in as far as Indiana State’s men’s basketball team is concerned.
- From the Pressbox: No Colts ghosts, Patriots just better team The first reflex for Indianapolis Colts fans is going to be a belief in ghosts. For example, when the mind’s eye turns to Aaron Moorehead’s drop of a crucial fourth-quarter pass with the Colts down by four, you can’t help but conjure a spectral-like vision of a blue-clad No. 88 jersey floating through the middle of the field, his sure hands ready to make his umpteenth clutch catch.
- From The Pressbox: Sycamores’ new coach hasn’t been forgotten by Bluejays’ program Creighton forward Dane Watts’ memory is long when it comes to Indiana State men’s basketball coach Kevin McKenna.
- From the Pressbox: Colts defense took away Bucs’ hope Before every game at the RCA Dome, the Indianapolis Colts take the field to Roger Daltrey’s climactic scream from The Who’s “Won’t Get Fooled Again.”
- From the Press Box: Manning gives other Colts a chance to shine After the Indianapolis Colts’ 38-20 victory over the Denver Broncos, coach Tony Dungy made a remark that every coach, at every level, in every era, has said.
- From the Pressbox: ISU wasn’t blessed for good-guy West “Have a blessed day.” Those are the last words you hear if you leave a message on Lou West’s cell phone, and it’s what I heard Monday morning when I called from Appleton, Wis., trying to confirm what I already suspected — that West was going to be replaced as the Indiana State football coach.
- From the Pressbox: Sycamores buying into paying the price for Valley success How do you get someone to do something that might be considered unpleasant? Easy … point to the alternative.
- From the Press Box: Size up Missouri Valley men’s hoops at your peril It’s getting to be that time for Missouri Valley Conference basketball writers. It is getting to be time for basketball writers, coaches, and the sports information directors to begin pondering the MVC preseason basketball poll.
From the Press Box: Smashmouth Colts?
Indianapolis Colts … smashmouth team?
That has a weird ring to it, but it rang true in Thursday’s 41-10 season-opening victory over the New Orleans Saints. On a day when the Colts celebrated their Super Bowl XLI title for one last time, nostalgia gave way to deja vu.
- From the Pressbox: Schedule will test Colts, but expect repeat Barely over a week ago, a breathless dare was put out there by a certain columnist challenging anyone to deny the Indianapolis Colts’ Super Bowl credentials.
- From the Pressbox: Not much to complain about as Indianapolis drills Detroit I dare you. I double dare you. I triple dog dare you to find a reason why the Indianapolis Colts won’t be in the Super Bowl again.
- More From the Press Box Headlines
- From the Press Box: An open letter to Dr. Daniel Bradley on Indiana State University athletics Dear Dr. Daniel Bradley,