TERRE HAUTE —
• McDonald’s, 3606 S. U.S. 41 (4 Critical, 5 Non-Critical). Headset observed setting on Swiss cheese; sanitizer in wiping cloth buckets less than 100 ppm; standing water backed up at drive-through window; tea stains and debris observed on handwash sink.
• Royal Mandarin Express, 43 Southland Shopping Center (3 Critical, 1 Non-Critical). Cooked lo mein and egg mixture found at 51-66 degrees, should be 41 degrees or less; black debris found on soda fountain nozzles; found several dented cans on dry storage rack.
• Circle K No. 2255, 1280 Lafayette Ave. (2 Critical). Black debris found on froster nozzles; doughnut cart found in front of handwash sink and plastic holder on handwash sink in back storage area.
• Uncle Herbies, 2206 N. 25th St. (1 Critical, 4 Non-Critical). Raw beef stored over cabbage and sour cream in refrigerator (corrected).
• West Vigo IGA, 1000 W. National Ave. (1 Critical, 3 Non-Critical). Various packaged lunchmeat and packaged potatoes found in open face cooler at 55-68 degrees, should be 41 degrees or less (discarded).
• Burger King, 2116 Lafayette Ave. (1 Critical, 2 Non-Critical). No handwash sink provided in drive through by smoothie/ice cream preparation area.
• Speedway No. 8533, 2135 Wabash Ave. (1 Critical, 2 Non-Critical). Toothbrush and spray nozzle found in handwash sink.
• Krietenstein American Legion Post 104, 2690 Fort Harrison Road (1 Critical, 1 Non-Critical). Spaghetti meat sauce, corn and hard-boiled eggs not marked with date of consumption.
• Joe Muggs Coffee Shop, 3370 S. U.S. 41 (1 Critical, 1 Non-Critical). Handwash sink found dirty.
• Sonic Drive In, 2149 Indiana 46 (1 Critical). No sanitizer dispensing in front station.
• Jiffy Mini-Mart No. 518, 5083 N. Lafayette Ave. (3 Non-Critical)
• C-Store Plus LLC, 1160 W. U.S. 40 (1 Non-Critical)
• Starbucks Coffee No. 11505, 2500 Wabash Ave. (1 Non-Critical)
• Lighthouse Mission Ministries Inc., 1450 Wabash Ave. (1 Non-Critical)
• Thornton Oil No. 450, 3333 S. U.S. 41 (1 Non-Critical)
• Sycamore Country Club Inc., 200 Heritage Drive (1 Non-Critical)
• Gerhardt’s Bierstube Restaurant, 1724 Lafayette Ave. (1 Non-Critical)
Establishments with no violations
• Family Dollar Store No. 3890, 7 Plaza North Shopping Center
• Gordon Food Service, 5000 S. Seventh St.
• Taco Bell, 2105 N. Lafayette Ave.
• Carosi’s Restaurant, 1733 Lafayette Ave.
• Dolly Madison/Wonder Bread, 1425 Fort Harrison Ave.
• McDonald’s, 3606 S. U.S. 41 (No Violations)
• Royal Mandarin Express, 43 Southland Shopping Center (No Violations)
• Wagon Wheel, 1145 Lafayette Ave. (No Violations)
• Logan’s Rib-Eye, 100 S. Fruitridge Ave. (No Violations)
• Kentucky Fried Chicken, 2000 Lafayette Ave. (No Violations)
TERRE HAUTE —
RESTAURANT INSPECTIONS: April 29-May 3
The Vigo County Health Department inspected the following food establishments April 29-May 3:
VIDEO: Two morel mushroom recipes in less than two minutes
The latest online video in the DNR Division of Fish & Wildlife’s CookIN Gone Wild series highlights morel mushrooms — a delicacy in Indiana that many people hunt for every spring.
- Restaurant Inspections: May 13, 2013
TRIED ‘N’ TRUE: A Rhubarb Nut Bread for the season
Last fall we went to the Covered Bridge Festival. Gene loves to go. Anyway, I got to talking to this lady, Treva Smith, at Bridgeton.
TRIED ‘N’ TRUE: Healthy Granola Bars good for everyone
I always liked Granola bars. Also Granola, to eat by handful. Pat Coolley always keeps granola on hand to nibble on. I don’t like raisins so I use dried cherries or cranberries instead. Instead of brown sugar use Splenda or your choice. I also use sugar-free syrup. So my husband, Gene, can eat these bars, too. This recipe comes from Rose Hill Community Church.
TRIED ‘N’ TRUE: Make these party potatoes in advance
I always enjoy mashed potatoes. I never thought you could improve them. But this is so good.
TRIED ‘N’ TRUE: Pizza lovers will enjoy this burger
My boys always enjoyed pizza burgers. You can take this recipe and make for 1 or 2 or a larger crowd.
Rich Products Corp. food recall includes Indiana
INDIANAPOLIS — Food items that were distributed in Indiana are being voluntarily recalled by Rich Products Corp., following a multi-state outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli 0121(E. coli). Two cases have been reported in Indiana.
TRIED ’N’ TRUE: Chicken Broccoli Casserole
We always like chicken and broccoli casserole. But it takes so many ingredients, and a lot of the time and I don’t always have all the ingredients.
TRIED ‘N’ TRUE: Quick and easy Calico Beans
A few years ago there was a recipe in the Terre Haute Star for Calico Beans. We tried it and really liked it. So here is my variation.
Tried ‘n’ True: Cheeseburger ’n’ Fries Casserole makes a quick and yummy meal
Who doesn’t like a cheeseburger and fries?
Tried ‘n’ True: Heath Bar Coffee Cake a treat for breakfast
When we go up north to visit our friends, I try to take something for breakfast. The men usually go out by themselves at noon or maybe we all four go out. But we eat at home for breakfast. Pat Rhoads gave me this recipe in the late 1960s or early 1970s.
RESTAURANT INSPECTIONS: Feb. 11, 2013
TRIED ‘N’ TRUE: A recipe for persimmon pie in the new year
Last summer some friends and I were eating pizza and another friend came up and asked me if I had a recipe for persimmon pie.
Tried 'n' True" A couple recipes for New Year’s Eve/Day gatherings
Can you believe another year has come and almost gone?
RESTAURANT INSPECTIONS: Dec. 17, 2012
The Vigo County Health Department inspected the following food establishments Dec. 3- 7:
TRIED ‘N’ TRUE: Large Batch Hot Chocolate will hit the spot
I got a cookbook in Princeton, Ill., this past summer when we went to visit our friends, Don and Amanda Condit and also Bill and Eileen Knapp. We had a girls’ day out and went to Princeton.
TRIED ‘N’ TRUE: Company coming? Make cinnamon rolls
Have company coming? Why not make some cinnamon rolls?
This recipe comes from Berynce Coleman. She is 93 or 94 years old and this was her mother’s recipe.
TRIED ‘N’ TRUE: Looking for a surprise? Look inside these cookies
At Christmastime we are always looking for surprises. This cookie recipe has a surprise in it. I don’t remember where I got this recipe. I enjoy making these all through the year.
St. Joseph Parish cookbook sales aid food bank
Copies of “Feeding the Flock” are moving faster than white chicken chili as a historic parish raises money for a local food bank.
TRIED 'N' TRUE: Try pumpkin pizza instead of pumpkin pie
At Morton, Ill., they have a Pumpkin Festival. It is a big deal and a lot of fun. There is also a pumpkin chuckin’ contest. There’s all sizes and shapes. Our dear friends, Bill and Eileen Knapp, live in Morton. Eileen always sends me a book of activities.
Kenny’s Farmhouse Cheese issues recall
A south-central Kentucky business has issued a voluntary recall on certain cheeses after testing found the presence of bacteria in a few samples.
TRIED 'N' TRUE: Use cabbage and/or lettuce in this Asian Cabbage Salad
This past summer, we had a potluck at church. I’m always looking for something new to serve when we have a potluck. Mary Jo Licata gave this recipe to me.
SENIOR MENU: Nov. 2, 2012
Reservations are required 24 hours in advance at all senior citizens dining sites in Vigo, Clay, Parke, Vermillion, Sullivan and Putnam counties
SENIOR MENU: Oct. 26, 2012
Reservations are required 24 hours in advance at all senior citizens dining sites in Vigo, Clay, Parke, Vermillion, Sullivan and Putnam counties.
TRIED ‘N’ TRUE: Church Burgers great for a fall party, or for small group
This summer we had a picnic at Brick Methodist Church. Everyone that ever went to Brick was invited. We had a very good time. Our pastor, Judy Williams, brought the meat. She got the recipe from Zion Methodist Church. These burgers were so good. We all wanted the recipe.
RESTAURANT INSPECTIONS: Oct. 15, 2012
The Vigo County Health Department inspected the following food establishments Sept. 24 to 28:
TRIED ‘N’ TRUE: Hamburger Skillet Stew will feed a little or a lot
When we were farming we raised a lot of green beans.
Vermillion County Bakersfest produces lemon recipes
The theme of the 15th Annual Bakersfest, staged on Oct. 3 at Vermillion County Fairgrounds, was “Baking with Lemons.”
TRIED 'N' TRUE: Make Pork Chops and Potatoes Dinner in slow cooker
When we were farming, I always had to take lunch (and sometimes an evening meal) to the fields.
- More Food Headlines
- RESTAURANT INSPECTIONS: April 29-May 3