Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
This recipe comes from a friend of mine, Vicki Volkers, who also goes to our church. She is such a lovely lady. She is always bringing recipes for diabetics. Gene went to school with her and her sister. I have always enjoyed succotash, but this recipe is different from mine. I have never put half and half or ham in mine. But this is really good. It doesn’t take long to fix this when you are always in a hurry like me. Thanks Vickie.
2 cups frozen lima beans (cook according to package)
2 cups frozen corn
2 tablespoon butter
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
1⁄4 cup half and half
1⁄4 cup finely chopped lean ham
• Cook beans according to package directions, drain and set aside.
• In a large pan heat butter until melted and foaming.
• Add corn, 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper, stirring to coat corn in butter.
• Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
• Add beans, and cook for 1 minute more, do not overcook corn and beans.
• Add half and half and ham.
• Cook just until heated through and slightly reduced.
Jackie Lindley is a great-grandmother and retired Clark County, Ill., farmer. Send comments and recipes to her at 20472 E. 500th Road, West Union, IL 62477.