Special to the Tribune-Star
TURKEY RUN —
Birds are a noisy, beautiful, everyday part of our lives. Take a close look at our feathered friends during Turkey Run State Park’s Bird Fest, slated for Saturday.
Schedule of activities:
• 8 a.m. Bird Hike — Bring binoculars and take a hike with a pro. Learn some calls, see some birds.
• 9:30 a.m. Help Feed The Birds — Gather at the nature center to help seed the wildlife observation area, and then watch through large windows as wild birds and mammals eat and interact.
• 10:15 a.m. Bluebirds Like You’ve Never Seen Them — Join bluebird expert Art Jeffries for a slide show and talk about the eastern bluebird.
• 2 p.m. Planetarium Star Show — Reserve a seat in the planetarium for a 40-minute look at the night sky. Learn about constellations, planets, legends and more.
• 3 p.m. Lusk Home Tour — Meet in the basement of the Salmon Lusk Home for a one-hour tour of this 1841 brick mansion. Participants must be able to climb stairs. A $2 per person donation is requested but not required.
• 8 p.m. Live Hawks & Owls — Gather at the amphitheater (by the Olympic pool) to see several live large bird of prey, and let Mark Booth share his years of personal experiences with these magnificent raptors.