- College Report
College Report: Anthony Bertoli begins track coaching career in Alabama
After a stellar track and field career at Indiana State, Terre Haute South grad Anthony Bertoli wanted to stay active in the sport. He spent last spring as a graduate assistant for the Sycamores, but knew his career would be best served if he spread his wings and experienced the sport he loves from an alternate viewpoint.
From the Press Box: ISU brass, ex-players united on ISU’s football future
Dreams are dreams until someone has the wherewithal to make them come true. When it comes to success and the Indiana State football program, dreams are about all anyone’s had for the last decade or more.
College Report: ISU hoops’ Mahurin sees benefits of redshirting
Indiana State’s R.J. Mahurin has played basketball for the majority of the calendar year for the majority of his life, so sitting out last winter as a redshirt was predictably not an easy thing to do.
He dealt with it, though, and has continued to work on his game to get ready to make his collegiate debut this winter for the Sycamores.
College Report: Johnson taking long-range shooting ability to Marshall
The history books could easily tell you how good the Terre Haute South girls basketball team was two years ago based upon victories and state rankings.
College Report: Vigo athletes aid University of Indianapolis track squad
Several Wabash Valley natives helped pace the University of Indianapolis to men’s and women’s team titles at the 2010 Great Lakes Valley Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships at Allgood Bailey Stadium in Rolla, Mo.
College Report: Farmer, Bullock lead tennis teams
Many Division I women’s tennis programs are dominated by foreign players from all over the globe, yet a pair of blonde-haired American girls from the Wabash Valley took their games to Indianapolis this year and had dominant seasons on the collegiate courts.
College Report: North Vermillion’s Davis, Casey’s Murphy helping SIU-E softball
As the Southern Illinois-Edwardsville softball team goes through its last season before becoming eligible for the NCAA Division I championships next year, the Cougars are being led by a pair of sophomores who are Wabash Valley natives.
COLLEGE REPORT: Armon Bassett leads Ohio past No. 3 seed Georgetown
Not a lot of Wabash Valley natives led their teams to post-season college basketball national tournament action, but many were honored for their individual achievements (see accompanying list).
ISU gets homestand started with sweep of WMU
Indiana State’s baseball team doesn’t have many homestands this season, so when they do play at Bob Warn Field, it is imperative that the Sycamores take advantage of its home field while it can.
College Report: Former South standout Fuqua ready to lead The Woods’ golf team
Kelsey Fuqua had an outstanding golf career at Terre Haute South, and will be one of the cornerstones as veteran coach Steve Higham builds a program at St. Mary-of-the-Woods College.
- College Report: North Vermillion’s Lively ready to take her game to next level North Vermillion senior Hillary Lively saw her high school basketball career end this week with a sectional loss to Turkey Run, but unlike most prep players her career is nowhere near its completion.
- College Report: Modesitt, Bullock making big impact for IUPUI tennis Two Wabash Valley area tennis standouts were honored this week as the Summit League players of the week. West Vigo freshman Joel Modesitt has been named the conference’s Men’s Tennis Athlete of the Week, while Terre Haute South freshman Hunter Bullock was named the conference’s Women’s Tennis Athlete of the Week.
- College report: North's O’Leary to play at Indiana State The task for Indiana State football competing in the Missouri Valley Football Conference is considered to be similar to that of Terre Haute North and Terre Haute South playing in the Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference.
College Report: Gertz, Guell making impact for ranked Purdue swim teams
Two Terre Haute natives have done the improbable, if not the impossible, by walking on to become highly-successful members of Purdue University’s swimming team.
- College Report: South grad Armon Bassett has his best week yet for Ohio Bobcats A few holiday leftovers that don’t even need a microwave oven: Ohio junior Armon Bassett of Terre Haute South was named Mid-American Conference East Division Player of the Week for the period of Dec. 7-12.
- Terre Haute North player commits to Holy Cross Many people rate intelligence, besides the obvious need for skill, as one of the most desirable qualities for a baseball player.
- College Report: Valley softball standouts ink letters of intent Five Wabash Valley area high school softball standouts have signed national letters of intent this month to play collegiately, one for a national small-college powerhouse and four others at the Division I level.
- College Report: Valley natives helping UIndy girls basketball thrive With a roster one-third full of Wabash Valley natives, the University of Indianapolis women’s basketball team is ranked fourth in the 2009-10 Division II Bulletin Preseason Poll, released this week.
College Report: Boyd back to Iowa, Graves playing in Europe
Two of the most recognizable names from the last 10 years of Wabash Valley athletics are in the news.
Former Union High School and Iowa basketball Brody Boyd has left the Wabash Valley for a second time to go to Iowa City, while ex-White River Valley and Butler basketball star A.J. Graves has started a pro career in Europe.
- College Report: Gant, Hayes get glimpse of Big Ten atmosphere Neither Gant nor Hayes is a football player, but Bowl Championship Schools wisely use such showcase footballstages to impress athletes being recruited for their other sports.
- College Report: Hayne joins Oakland City volleyball team
- Rosselli joins long line of Valley talent at SMWC A big part of softball is having quickness and slap hitters who can place the ball where they want, so it’s not hard to figure why St. Mary-of-the-Woods Coach Gary Rodgers wanted recent Terre Haute North grad Kelsey Rosselli to join his program.
- Seaton ready to get back on volleyball court for Pepperdine Kristen Seaton didn’t exactly want to sit out last season as a redshirt volleyball player for the Pepperdine Waves, but nagging foot injuries forced the Terre Haute South grad to take the year off and recover on the sidelines.
- College report: Cummins bounces back from broken hand When John Cummins suffered a broken hand early in his senior year at Purdue this spring, his college baseball career could have been over.
- College Report: Vicars, Woods land at Alcorn State Two longtime Wabash Valley baseball teammates from many past stops together have reunited once again, as Terre Haute South grads Cole Vicars and Bobby Woods have both signed letters-of-intent to continue their careers at Division I Alcorn State in Lorman, Miss.
- College Report: Blank happy to be heading to Indy
- College Report: Phegley, Cummins square off in IU-PU series
- College Report: North grad Andre Dickson winding down successful basketball career at Lindenwood Lindenwood University’s men’s basketball team held the nation’s leading scorer to just 11 points as it won its first-round Heartland of America Athletic Conference Tournament game by an 82-75 score over Evangel on Thursday night.
- College Report: South’s Rector set to play for Vincennes Randa Rector might not have been the Terre Haute South girls basketball player who the other team planned its scouting report around, but her outstanding all-around game has not gone unnoticed by college coaches.
- Valley athletes join SIU-Edwardsville softball team Two Wabash Valley athletes made their debut for Southern-Illinois Edwardsville's softball team Friday.
- More College Report Headlines
- College Report: Anthony Bertoli begins track coaching career in Alabama