- Breaking News
- BREAKING: Sullivan County schools locked down after receiving letter mentioning Virginia Tech Union Junior-Senior High School and Dugger Elementary were under lockdown today and many students went home after officials began investigating a letter that made reference to Virginia Tech and listed names of about 30 high school students.
- Family friend says Greg Oden entering NBA Draft Ohio State’s 7-foot freshman center Greg Oden will make himself available for the NBA draft, a family friend said Thursday night.
- NEW: ISU Tandem bike race moved to Sunday After conferring with local meteorologists concerning Saturday's weather forecast calling for heavy rain showers, storms and a possibility of snow flurries, the Tandem Committee has announced it is postponing the annual Tandem Bike Race until Sunday, April 15, at 11 am at Recreation East on the ISU campus.
- BREAKING: Indiana Secretary of State takes action against local mortgage lender The Indiana Secretary of State’s office filed an official complaint today alleging fraudulent practices at a Terre Haute-based mortgage lending company, Affordable Lending on Wabash Avenue.
- NEW: Colts' safety Mike Doss signs with Minnesota Vikings The Indianapolis Colts lost their third starting defensive player since the beginning of the veteran free agency period Wednesday when the Minnesota Vikings signed safety Mike Doss to a one year, $1 million deal.
Altman changes mind, leaves Arkansas, will stay at Creighton
Dana Altman quit as Arkansas basketball coach Tuesday, a day after a news conference to announce his hiring.
Altman apologized to Razorbacks fans “with deep regret” and said returning to Creighton was in his family’s best interest.
- UPDATE: Shots fired inside CNN headquarters complex in Atlanta; 1 dead, 1 critical A domestic dispute erupted in gunfire at CNN's headquarters complex Tuesday, killing a woman and critically wounding the man who first pulled a gun, authorities said.
- NEW: ISU hopes to name new men's basketball coach by Friday Indiana State Director of Athletics Ron Prettyman said Wednesday afternoon that ISU can expect to hire its next men’s basketball coach as early as Friday.
- Tests show White House spokesman Tony Snow suffering from recurrence of cancer The colon cancer that Tony Snow successfully battled two years ago has returned and spread to the U.S. presidential spokesman's liver, the White House said Tuesday.
- Ohio State's Greg Oden swats away Tennessee's shot at victory Senior Ron Lewis and freshman Mike Conley lifted Ohio State past Tennessee, 85-84 Thursday night in the semifinals of the NCAA South Regional.
- UPDATE: Iowa coach Steve Alford tells Hawkeyes he’s leaving for New Mexico Iowa coach Steve Alford told his players during a team meeting Thursday that he’s leaving to take over the New Mexico program.
UPDATE: Officials say missing Purdue student fatally shocked in utility room
Purdue University is investigating how a utility room containing dangerous high-voltage wires was left unlocked, allowing a student to walk in and be fatally shocked, officials said Tuesday.
Purdue spokeswoman Jeanne Norberg said an autopsy suggests that Wade Steffey, 19, of Bloomington, tripped and fell behind a transformer inside the room, which is about 50 yards from where he was last seen Jan. 13 after he attended a fraternity party. He likely died instantly when he made contact with high-voltage wires, she said.
- Colts lose linebacker Cato June to Tampa Bay Make it three for three when it comes to the Indianapolis Colts' most coveted unrestricted free agents.
- BREAKING: Vigo County Recorder Ray Watts faces felony charges Vigo County Recorder Ray Watts, 60, was charged today in Vigo County Superior Court Division 3 with two felonies and one misdemeanor related to allegations of sexual harrassment brought against him by a Vigo County employee.
- BREAKING: Vigo prosecutor starts sexual harassment investigation Vigo County Prosecutor Terry Modesitt said he has requested that an investigation be made into allegations of stalking and sexual harassment against Vigo County Recorder Ray Watts.
- Indiana State women not extended WNIT invitation The Indiana State women’s basketball team was not extended an invitation to the WNIT. The Sycamores won eight of their last 10 games, but the season ended for ISU with a 69-65 loss to sixth-seeded Creighton in the quarterfinal round of the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament.
- Terre Haute North, North Central eliminated from IHSAA tourney The Terre Haute North and North Central boys basketball teams were eliminated today in the regional round of the Indiana boys basketball tournament.
- ISU's Kelsey Luna named MVC freshman of the year Indiana State guard Kelsey Luna was named the Missouri Valley Conference Freshman of the Year at the league's annual Rawling's Coach of the Year Banquet on Thursday afternoon.
MVC COACHING UPDATE: Merfeld resigns at Evansville; Drake denies that Davis retires
Indiana State men's basketball coach Royce Waltman was just the beginning as far as Missouri Valley Conference coaching changes.
The University of Evansville's web site reported on Saturday that Steve Merfeld has resigned as the Purple Aces' coach
NEWS UPDATE: Royce Waltman talks about being let go by ISU
The only coach to lead the Indiana State men’s basketball team to the NCAA Tournament in the post-Larry Bird era will no longer lead the Sycamores after the season ends.
ISU coach Royce Waltman, who has coached ISU since 1997, will not have his contract renewed.
BREAKING: Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Board withdraws bond issue
The Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Board has withdrawn the $4 million bond request from tonight's agenda at the Terre Haute City Council meeting.
- ISU's Wurtz, Arnold on MVC Scholar-Athlete teams Indiana State men's basketball players Trent Wurtz and Adam Arnold were honored by the MVC on Wednesday.
ISU gets two players on MVC All-Freshman team
Indiana State's Marico Stinson and Cole Holmstrom have been selected to the MVC All-Freshman team the league announced Tuesday afternoon.
Southern Illinois' senior Jamaal Tatum has been named the 2007 Larry Bird MVC Player of the Year.
- BREAKING: Bird tops MVC All-Centennial Team There was no surprise to see Larry Bird top the starting five of the Missouri Valley Conference All-Centennial Team, which was announced as the league prepares for the start of its postseason tournament Thursday.
- Freezing rain advisory for Wabash Valley THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SUNDAY.
- Grand jury indicts 2 Pacers players in bar fight Indiana Pacers guard Jamaal Tinsley and teammate Marquis Daniels were charged Wednesday in a fight at a bar earlier this month.
- Valley women’s basketball championship to move to neutral site in 2008 A contentious point among Indiana State University fans will soon be resolved. The Missouri Valley Conference has announced that it will move its postseason women’s basketball tournament to a neutral site in 2008 for the first time ever.
WEATHER ALERT: Snow advisory, Saturday cancellations
The National Weather Service has issued a snow advisory, effective until 4 p.m. Saturday.
Two to four inches are possible throughout west central Indiana, including Vigo, Vermillion, Parke, Clay and Sullivan counties.
- University of Illinois dropping Indian mascot The University of Illinois will retire its 81-year-old American Indian mascot, Chief Illiniwek, following the last men's home basketball game of the season on Wednesday.
- NEWS UPDATE: Explosion at Duke Energy's Wabash River Generating Station Tribune-Star reporters on the scene report that two employees were taken to the hospital with minor injuries after a small explosion in the plant's coal mill.
- More Breaking News Headlines