- Breaking News
Post 346 wins first game at American Legion regional; Currently playing for regional title
Fueled by a 15-strikeout effort by pitcher A.J. Reed and a six-RBI day for catcher Dougie Collett, Wayne Newton Post 346 defeated Moline Post 246 11-2 in the championship round of the American Legion Great Lakes baseball regional.
Englehart resigns as Rose football coach to go to ISU
Rose-Hulman football coach Steve Englehart has resigned his position with the Engineers to become offensive coordinator at Indiana State.
BREAKING: Man found dead, his teenaged niece missing in Marshall, Ill.
Only limited information is now being released by police concerning a man’s death and a missing teenager in Marshall, Ill.
WEATHER UPDATE: Vigo, Parke tornado warning canceled
The tornado warning for parts of Vigo and Parke counties has been canceled.
The National Weather Service canceled the warning about 3:36 p.m. today. The storm that prompted the warning has weakened below severe limits and no longer poses an immediate threat to life or property. However gusty winds and heavy rain are still possible with this storm, according to the weather service.
ALERT: Flood warning in effect for Clark County
A flash flood warning is in effect for Clark County in Illinois.
The National Weather Service reports more than two inches of rain has fallen in the county. Spotters tell the National Weather Service that some creeks are out of their banks.
ALERT: Tornado and thunderstorm warnings in effect in parts of Valley
There is a severe thunderstorm warning in effect for northern Vigo, southern Vermillion and southwestern Parke counties until 3:15 p.m. today.
BREAKING: Indiana Rep. Souder says he’ll resign over affair
Indiana Republican Rep. Mark Souder today acknowledged an affair with a staffer and unexpectedly announced his resignation, giving Democrats a chance at capturing what many had thought was a safe Republican seat.
The eight-term congressman apologized for his actions but provided no details.
ISU's Brent Leitnaker not returning for senior season
Indiana State head basketball coach Kevin McKenna announced this afternoon that Brant Leitnaker, a member of the Sycamores for the last four seasons, has elected not to return to the program for his senior season - which would have his been his fifth year.
NCAA to expand men's basketball tournament field to 68
The NCAA has announced that it will expand the NCAA men’s basketball tournament field to 68 teams beginning in 2011.
The field expansion was announced along with the NCAA’s new $10.8 billion television and wireless rights deal with CBS Sports and Turner Broadcasting that will last through 2024.
Prosecutors: Former Terre Haute man ran Indiana drug ring from prison
Nineteen people have been indicted in what federal prosecutors say was a drug ring that was run from a state prison by an inmate using a cell phone.
The federal indictment unsealed today in U.S. District Court in Terre Haute names Wesley S. Hammond, 39, as the ringleader.
Hammond, formerly of Terre Haute, is in the New Castle state prison serving a 15-year sentence for drug dealing in Vigo County.
BREAKING: Proposed flights from Terre Haute to Branson canceled
The Terre Haute International Airport Authority has been informed by Jeff Bourk, executive director of the Branson Airport, that the proposed flights between Terre Haute and Branson, Mo., are canceled, effective immediately.
BREAKING: Former boxer Terry Ray arrested
An initial hearing on an allegation of sexual misconduct with a minor has been set for Tuesday morning for former professional boxer Terry Ray.
- UPDATE: Winter Storm Warning now in effect until 7 p.m. EST Friday The Winter Storm Warning is in effect for Vigo County and Terre Haute until 7 p.m. EST Friday.
- NEW: Vigo Schools advise parents to plan for severe weather The Vigo County School Corp. is advising parents to have plans for their students for Thursday and Friday in the event that potential severe weather creates a scenario where school may be released early for delayed during the next two days.
- NEW: Royce Waltman replacing Todd Sturgeon as Indianapolis head coach Todd Sturgeon is stepping down as men's basketball coach at Indianapolis and will be replaced in the interim by assistant coach Royce Waltman, a former Greyhounds head coach.
PHOTO UPDATE: F-15 fighter jet crashes in southwestern Indiana
An Air National Guard pilot with 15 years’ experience escaped serious injury Wednesday when he ejected from his F-15, just moments before the fighter jet crashed into a southwestern Indiana farm field during a training exercise.
The jet from the Missouri Air National Guard’s 131st Fighter Wing went down at 9:49 a.m. CDT in a lightly populated rural area near the Indiana-Illinois state line, south of Vincennes, the Air Guard said.
- Dario Franchitti wins rain-shortened Indy 500 Dario Franchitti won the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday when rain stopped the race after 415 miles.
Vigo County Council President Robert Hellmann dies
Vigo County Council President Robert Hellmann has died, according to friends of his family.
Hellmann had been battling cancer.
BREAKING: Judge rules Hyte Center belongs to city
A Parke County judge has ruled that the city of Terre Haute legally owns the Charles T. Hyte Community Center at 1101 S. 13th St.
Sam Swaim, a special judge in the case, issued a summary judgment ruling in favor of the Terre Haute Parks & Recreation Board.
- UPDATED: Televangelist Rev. Jerry Falwell dies at 73 The Rev. Jerry Falwell, the television evangelist who founded the Moral Majority and used it to mold the religious right into a political force, died Tuesday shortly after being found unconscious in his office at Liberty University. He was 73.
- FINAL NUMBERS: Burke, Bennett to vie again in general election Terre Haute Democratic mayor Kevin Burke and Republican challenger Duke Bennett easily won nominations Tuesday in the 2007 primary election with more than 80-percent of the precincts reporting.
- BREAKING: ISU basketball signs Chicago power forward The Indiana State men’s basketball office has confirmed that Chicago power forward Isiah Martin has signed a letter of intent to play for the Sycamores starting next season.
- UPDATE: 6 men charged with plotting to attack soldiers at Fort Dix in New Jersey Six men described by federal prosecutors as “Islamic militants” were arrested on charges they plotted to attack the Fort Dix Army base and “kill as many soldiers as possible,” authorities said today.
- BREAKING: I-70 accident halts eastbound traffic After a semi accident and hazardous material spill on Interstate-70 near the U.S. Highway 41 exit around 1:30 a.m. today, eastbound traffic on I-70 is being rerouted to Darwin Road in West Terre Haute. Another accident occurred at U.S. Highway 40 and Darwin Road around 7:20 a.m., but U.S. 40 remained open.
- UPDATE: Two North Clay Middle School students arrested after bomb threat Indiana State Police arrested two male students, ages 13 and 14, from North Clay Middle School for the bomb threat received to the Clay County school Tuesday.
- Sharon Miles to fill husband’s seat on Terre Haute City Council By unanimous vote, Sharon Miles fulfilled her goal of resuming her husband’s seat on the Terre Haute City Council.
BREAKING: City employee withdraws from caucus consideration
City employee Marcia Jackson today withdrew from consideration to serve the rest of deceased Terre Haute City Councilman Chuck Miles’ term.
Jackson, who is assistant to the mayor, issued a letter to the Democrat caucus members requesting to be withdrawn, said Joe Etling, chairman of the Vigo County Democratic Party.
BREAKING UPDATE: Four arrests made in fatal Vermillion County hit-and-run
The Vermillion County Sheriff's Department announced Thursday afternoon it has made four arrests in connection with the fatal Thursday morning hit-and-run accident.
Toni Pritchard, 18, of Cayuga died at the scene of the accident on Indiana 63 at County Road 600 North, a sheriff's report states.
- BREAKING: Ex-Sycamore transfers to USI Tyson Schnitker, who last played for Indiana State in the 2005-06 college basketball season, has accepted a scholarship to play his final year of eligibility at the University of Southern Indiana in Evansville.
- URGENT: Chuck Miles to remain on ballot for City Council Deceased Terre Haute City Councilman Chuck Miles will remain on the ballot in the Democratic primary despite the Vigo County clerk first saying his name would be removed.
- More Breaking News Headlines
- Post 346 wins first game at American Legion regional; Currently playing for regional title