FISHERS, Ind. —
Conner Prairie Interactive History Park, Indiana’s only Smithsonian affiliate, will open its doors with free general admission on Saturday, Sept. 29, as part of Smithsonian’s Museum Day Live! Visitors must present a Museum Day Live! ticket to gain free admission.
Museum Day Live! is a celebration of the dissemination of knowledge to anyone and everyone interested, without a price tag, emulating the free admission policy of the Smithsonian Institution’s Washington, D.C.-based facilities. More than 1,300 venues in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico participate in Museum Day Live! each year.
Visitors can explore Conner Prairie’s five outdoor historic areas and participate in a bevy of activities. Families and children can sharpen their tomahawk throwing skills in Lenape Indian Camp, enlist to defend our great state against Confederate raiders in 1863 Civil War Journey, take on a role and earn coins to spend at Whitaker’s Store in 1836 Prairietown, interact with baby animals at the Animal Encounters barn at the Conner Homestead, and weather permitting, take a flight 350 feet in the air at 1859 Balloon Voyage (additional cost).
Special activities include:
Ongoing 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Imagination Playground
• Build structures and contraptions with giant foam pieces to imagine and create through free play.
• Giant Parachute
• Gather friends and family around for laughs and fun while interacting with our giant parachute.
• White River Past and Present
• Celebrate the White River with a special opportunity to explore its banks and observe the plant and animal life. Take part in discussions on the role the river has played in local history.
• Strongest Farmhand Competition
• Join the Zimmerman kids at the Golden Eagle Inn in 1836 Prairietown as they have a friendly competition to see who is the strongest farmhand. Gather eggs, stack wood and join in the games.
• BANG! — 11 a.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.
• Learn to load, aim and fire a Civil War-era rifle. $10 additional fee
• Historic Games — 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
• Join in and learn about rousing 19th-century games in 1836 Prairietown that include Rounders (baseball), chicken coop, French and English, Prince of Paris and more!
• Paper Balloon Launch ? 2:30 p.m.
• Help schoolteacher Mr. Ferguson and a couple of his students launch a paper balloon filled with hot air. (Weather dependent.)
• Flint and Steel — 3 p.m.
• Learn how to start a fire with flint and steel and take home your own kit. $5 additional fee
• Jam and Preserve Tasting — 3:30 p.m.
• The ladies of 1836 Prairietown are preserving food for winter. Who makes the best jam, apple butter or preserves? Taste and vote for the best cook.
Guests can also visit Conner Prairie?s indoor areas, which include Discovery Station, a kid-size town filled with opportunities for imaginative fun and free play; Science Lab, a hands-on, interactive science area; and Craft Corner, where visitors can try classic, 19th-century arts and crafts such as paper making.
How to participate
To receive free admission, visitors must download the Museum Day Live! ticket at www.smithsonianmag.com/museumday/ticket/. Visitors who present the official pass will receive free admission for two people on September 29 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. One ticket is permitted per household, per email address.
For more information, visit connerprairie.org, follow us on Twitter @ConnerPrairie or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/connerprairie.