Indiana State Fair
The Indiana State Fair’s Hoosier Lottery Grandstand has a full line-up of activities for 2012. The long list of competitions, family shows and motor sports scheduled throughout the fair’s 17 days includes the return of the Lucas Oil Indy Mile AMA Pro Flat Track Grand National motorcycle race for the first time since 1998.
Here is the complete list of events:
• Marsh Band Day – Aug. 3, preliminaries at 9 a.m. ($6 adults, $2 children); finals at 8 p.m. ($10 adults, $4 children). The state’s top high school marching bands compete for bragging rights, cash prizes and trophies.
• Monster Truck Nationals presented by Lucas Oil – Aug. 4 at 1 and 7 p.m. ($5). Incredible and competitive monster trucks race during one afternoon session and one evening session.
• Lucas Oil Indy Super Pull – Aug. 5 at 1 and 7 p.m. (Free). Drivers will compete in six different classes during two different pulls.
• International Circus Hall of Fame – Aug. 6-7 at 2 and 6 p.m. (Free). The pride of Peru, Ind., brings its elephants, jugglers and trapeze artists for two full days of shows.
• Timberworks Lumberjack Show – Aug. 8-9 1, 3:30 and 6 p.m. (Free). This entertaining group of outdoorsmen show-off their axe throwing, pole climbing and log rolling skills during friendly and comedic competitions.
• Xtreme Action Sports Show pres. by VOICE – Aug. 10 at 2 and 7 p.m. (Free). World class athletes show off their skateboarding, BMX and motocross skills.
• Cheerleading Competition – Aug. 11, preliminaries at 10 a.m. ($8 adults, $2 children 6-12, free children 5 and younger); finals at 5 p.m. ($10 adults, $4 children 6-12, free children 5 and younger). Varsity and Jr. Varsity squads from around the state try to impress the judges and take home the enormous trophy.
• Great American Wild West Show – Aug. 12-13 at 1 and 6 p.m. (Free). The Old West comes back to life as cowboys and Native Americans in full costume demonstrate how they used to ride, rope, shoot and dance during a show that’s fun for the whole family.
• Indiana State Fair Horse Pulls – Aug. 14 at 4 and 8 p.m. Teams of mighty draft horses show off their incredible strength by pulling weighted sleds down the track.
• Harness Racing – Aug. 15-16 at 10 a.m. (Free). More than 85 years of harness racing history continues at the Indiana State Fairgrounds as the finest Indiana and Grand Circuit horses compete, with the prestigious Fox Stake scheduled on Aug. 16.
• Naptown Roller Girls Roller Derby – Aug. 17 at 7 p.m. (Free). These daring darlings are the fiercest things on four wheels. With clever nicknames and exciting maneuvers, it’s easy to see why they draw huge crowds throughout the year.
• Lucas Oil Indy Mile AMA Pro Flat Track Grand National – Aug. 18 at 7:30 p.m. ($31 and $36, includes State Fair admission). The dirt around the one-mile Track of Champions will be flying all day long as racers start qualifying at 3 p.m. reaching speeds of up to 120 mph. Heat races begin at 7:30 and the green flag drops on the Grand National about 9:30.
• Lucas Oil Demolition Derby – Aug. 19 at 7:30 p.m. ($5). This derby is an annual favorite as cars crash into each other until there is just one still running.
Tickets for all paid events are available by calling the Indiana State Fair Box Office at (317) 927-7601 or Ticketmaster at 1-800-745-3000. They are also available online at www.ticketmaster.com.